Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

800-900rwhp Turbo build - List your setups here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800-900rwhp Turbo build - List your setups here.

Instead of starting a new thread, And getting mixed answers so thought it would be better to get a general idea from each individual input in this one thread.

I'm going to start to look for a turbo kit for my 99 z28, Its a v6 going to swap it to a v8 since i already have the motor and transmission and harness ready, 370 iron block (9.2 SCR), Isky 215/215 566/566 114LSA Cam, TEA TFS 225cc's, LS6 Intake, siemens deka 60lbs, Dual aeromotive 360's and custom fuel system, FAST Rails -8 feed braided line, -6 return, Electric WP. Its a pure street car no track at all. My goal is 800-900rwhp.

I don't know which flange should i go with a T4 or a T6? Would a PT88 be too big? Anything bigger than GT4788 will be an overkill, Gt4788 itself maybe an overkill.

Help me decide by listing your setups.

Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

I think a 88mm turbo is overkill for your goals! My combo is 364 lq9, TFS 235's, Fast LsxRT 102 truck intake, Virginia speed vtc-3 turbo cam and a Comp Billet 80mm turbo with a gt50 "style" wheel. It's t6 and i'm gonna start at 1.08ar and see how it goes. My goals are 900-1000rwhp. I should be able to see atleast 900rwhp at a max of 20psi. I think you may be able to meet your goals of 800-900rwhp with a 78mm turbo or even a good 76mm. Some of the more knowledgeable guys should chime in soon. Try the search also...there are plenty of 800rwhp street cars running around in here.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

What fuel? Those injectors are too small. Id grab some 96lb or bigger as you can always tune down bigfee injectors. I'd also ditch the cam and snag. 23x/23x 58x/58x 114. T6 flange unless you want run multiple wastegates
Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your input deeloc, The reason i'm thinking to get an 88mm is you can make more power with less boost, Since the bigger turbos flows more cfm at the same boost level or the smaller units.

Keep them coming fellas
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TurboMark8
What fuel? Those injectors are too small. Id grab some 96lb or bigger as you can always tune down bigfee injectors. I'd also ditch the cam and snag. 23x/23x 58x/58x 114. T6 flange unless you want run multiple wastegates
93pump and maybe some meth

And i dont want to run multiple WGs

Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6ltr
Thanks for your input deeloc, The reason i'm thinking to get an 88mm is you can make more power with less boost, Since the bigger turbos flows more cfm at the same boost level or the smaller units.

Keep them coming fellas
I hear ya...it's gonna take longer to spool the thing even if you're not running a lot of boost with the 88 on a 370. A lot of the smaller turbos will keep up with that bigger 88 up to a certain point and then the 88 will run away. Since this is a 100% street car i would go for the smallest turbo you can that will help you reach your goals so you'll hit your number and have great spool out of it. Make sure you get some head studs and some ls9 gaskets also. Get a decent 78mm turbo and you should be good to go!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

ARB hardware everywhere on the longblock now, Also MLS LS9 Gaskets installed.

I will look into the 78mm's

Are you refering to a specific turbo that is 78mm? Or just in general?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep them coming fellas
This is wrong.

All a bigger turbo allows you to do is make more boost on the same size engine.

The only way to make more power with less boost is to increase engine size.

Technically the second statement you made is correct, but boost is dependent on engine size, you can't magically set boost...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

80mm Borg would probably get the job done with the 96mm turbine. Not very expensive either!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

ARB hardware everywhere on the longblock now, Also MLS LS9 Gaskets installed.

I will look into the 78mm's

Are you refering to a specific turbo that is 78mm? Or just in general?
Guys usually run any of these four turbos on this site...garrett, precision, borg warner and turbonetics (some guys go ebay, but i would stay away from that if were me). I went a different route with Comp Turbo because they offer some unique things to their turbos for half the cost of other manufacturers like ceramic-ball bearing, billet compressor wheels and all billet bearing housings, oil-less turbos etc... I went with them also because they are local and their customer service is great! They are still trying to break into this LS motor world so there isn't a lot of proven combos out there with their turbos yet. Hopefully mines will shine and we can add one more company to the mix. Comp also offers budget turbos If the higher end turbos are a little deep for your pockets.

Forced Inductions is where most guys go for purchasing but recent issues with their turbos and guys saying they had poor customer service led me elsewhere during my search for a turbo. If you do some research, you'll see that almost all of the companies named have had their fair share of issues...including Comp. But it is customer service that separates them IMO. Dr. Turbo, is very knowledgeable and has helped me out with many questions on this site so you may want to pm him if you have more questions about purchasing a turbo or anything turbo related.

AND ONE MORE THING...IT COSTS A LOT OF MONEY TO DO A TURBO BUILD SO YOU BETTER BE READY TO COME OUT OF THE POCKET! There has been many times lately where i've thought to myself, is it worth it...and i'm not even done yet...lol! I have thought, with the money i've spent on the f**king car I could have had a 400+ NA with a little nitrous and run 9's all day! So, just know what you're getting yourself in to!

Last edited by deeloc1; 09-10-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
This is wrong.

Technically the second statement you made is correct, but boost is dependent on engine size, you can't magically set boost...
Thanks for correcting that for me, Learning something new everyday!

Originally Posted by Sarg
80mm Borg would probably get the job done with the 96mm turbine. Not very expensive either!
I know BW are proven turbos, But from what i know and my little knowledge toward turbo they were built for diesels in first place right?

From what i'm observing there are more setups out there with GT, TC, PT and so on and proven more than BWs.

I'm not say they are not good, But they were built for other purposes.

I'm here to learn so shed some more light please.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
This is wrong.

Negative on that.

A larger, more efficient turbo will generally make more power at any given boost level at the expense of response due to lower drive pressure and compressor efficiency.

Last edited by qqwqeqwrqwqtq; 09-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deeloc1
AND ONE MORE THING...IT COSTS A LOT OF MONEY TO DO A TURBO BUILD SO YOU BETTER BE READY TO COME OUT OF THE POCKET! There has been many times lately where i've thought to myself, is it worth it...and i'm not even done yet...lol! I have thought, with the money i've spent on the f**king car I could have had a 400+ NA with a little nitrous and run 9's all day! So, just know what you're getting yourself in to!
I think i know what i'm getting myself into HAHA, Thanks for the help.

I'm in no hurry to build the car, What i'm trying to do is getting the car sooner instead of building it for a couple years gathering stuff, I think i have everything else covered except for the injectors and tubular turbo k-member, I'm crossing my fingers that i dont need tons of stuff more to finish the car.

PS: I know there are alot of stuff i'm just trying to convince myself to not think much about it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Negative on that.

A larger, more efficient turbo will generally make more power at any given boost level at the expense of response due to lower drive pressure.
That's what i thought from what i did read and gathered but i took PUNISHER knowledge since he is in the process of building a turbo car now and he may got info about it more than me.

I don't know if that occurs but from what i know, That bigger turbos flows more CFM at the same boost level than smaller ones which means moving more air @ the same boost/intake restriction which means more power than less CFM smaller units @ the same boost level.

But there is a price for it as you mentioned, Turbo Response.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

I think i know what i'm getting myself into HAHA, Thanks for the help.

I'm in no hurry to build the car, What i'm trying to do is getting the car sooner instead of building it for a couple years gathering stuff, I think i have everything else covered except for the injectors and tubular turbo k-member, I'm crossing my fingers that i dont need tons of stuff more to finish the car.

PS: I know there are alot of stuff i'm just trying to convince myself to not think much about it.
Cool. Well, more power to you! Good luck man. I'll keep an eye on the responses and see what the more knowledgeable guys say. I can tell you right now that I am at over 10k and it still needs more s**t! Injectors, fuel rails, fuel pressure regulator with boost reference, meth kit, boost controller, pushrods, intercooler plus plumbing, new rear gears instead of my 4:11's etc...etc...etc...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deeloc1
Cool. Well, more power to you! Good luck man. I'll keep an eye on the responses and see what the more knowledgeable guys say. I can tell you right now that I am at over 10k and it still needs more s**t! Injectors, fuel rails, fuel pressure regulator with boost reference, meth kit, boost controller, pushrods, intercooler plus plumbing, new rear gears instead of my 4:11's etc...etc...etc...
I hope you get the end result you're expecting without running in to much hassles!

Thanks man its much appreciated!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

But there is a price for it as you mentioned, Turbo Response.
Which is why i'm saying for your 100% street car you won't like the 88mm turbo on your 370ci. What's the max boost you want to run and still achieve your 800-900rwhp? What rpm? Those ls9 gaskets with give you the ability to run more boost over those stock mls gaskets you are using. IMO they are worth buying for the price with added insurance if you want to turn the boost up a little more to reach your goal.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

And the BW are very proven!!! Search s480 combos on this site and yellowbullet! Had i known what i know now, I would have went with a Bullseye s480 with the batmo wheel, 96mm turbine and t6 1.32ar. Or would have gone with a billet s480 w/ the authentic gt50 wheel, t6 and 1.08ar (what i'm trying to duplicate right now with my comp turbo).
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

A 370 with a nice cam and heads and a st80 or 76gts will get you the power you are after.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I second that quote it costs soooo Much more than you think. Just come up with a plan and double it. But hopefully the first time it spools you forget all about the money and have fun because that's what its all about ....I like the s480 also its just heavy. I'm almost done with my lq4 tu2 cam and the s480 I'll let you know on power

Quick Reply: 800-900rwhp Turbo build - List your setups here.