Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help Asap!!!

Puttin on SFC's today, have to finish before Dad gets home, he's a raging maniac and i cant be in his garage, ive always jacked the car up using diff. points but now i have a 3 ton floor jack and read that for teh front i'm should use the "k-member" ok here's the problem, i've never used it before and dont exactly know what it looks like dont wanna break anything and already have the rear up...is it the thick bar that is located a few inches behind the front sway bar?? All answers needed before 2:00 please!~!!!?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Center the jack under the big *** black skid plate looking thing directly under the mighty LS1. The rack and pinion is directly above it, you can't miss it. You may have to park the front wheels on 2 x 4's to get clearance if you're lowered. So to answer your question, yes.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K-member is the engine cradle that the engine sits in.
It will take you longer to weld in the SFC's than you have to work with.
The car has to have the suspension "loaded" to put these in. That means that you can use any point to jack her up, just put ramps under all 4 tires to get the height you need to work on it. For proper SFC installation the car can't have the suspension drooping. The load of the car must be equalized as if she is sitting on the road at the time.

Tony
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is the Very wide, 1" thick black peice of metal that goes under your oil pan from one side to the next. You would put the jack in the front of your car and slowly start jacking....the front body molding will get in the way till you get it up about 18" and then you can really get it up there. Make sure you put a brick behind each rear tire and pull the emergency brake. Then as it's in the air you want to put 2 jackstands under ur K-member, pull'em up to they both click in place as close to the k-member then let the jack down to stablize the car......get ur SFC's on there!!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
K-member is the engine cradle that the engine sits in.
It will take you longer to weld in the SFC's than you have to work with.
The car has to have the suspension "loaded" to put these in. That means that you can use any point to jack her up, just put ramps under all 4 tires to get the height you need to work on it. For proper SFC installation the car can't have the suspension drooping. The load of the car must be equalized as if she is sitting on the road at the time.
Tony
Old 04-07-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys...wish me luck...lol i feel like such a moron.

p.s...they arent weld ons...so hopefully it wont take that long.