General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window rattles, is jerky when it goes up, and doesn't go up all the way.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window rattles, is jerky when it goes up, and doesn't go up all the way.

So one day I was working on my window in my 2001 Trans Am, everything fell down, and came out of track. I got everything back into track and hooked back up and now when I roll my window up it is really jerky and when it gets close to being all the way up the window angles a little bit and leaves about an 1/8-1/16" gap at the top. Just enough to keep rain out, but enough to just let my interior get soaked when I wash it. I was wondering if anybody has any idea what I may of done wrong while putting it back together?

Thank you in advanced for your help.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you did just the motor without the regulator if it all fell down and came out of track. The window glass/regulator channels are probably crooked. Pull the door panel off, reinstall the switch, and tweak it little by little till it goes up straight. If the big spring came unwound then you need to wind it back up the proper amount of times.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 96reddevil
everything fell down, and came out of track.
This can only happen if something breaks. In addition to the other things that could have gone awry, which FiredUpZ28 points out, you should also search for the cause of the mishap. It could be any number of things with the mechanism. You may have to take both doors apart and compare the two sides to see what's wrong.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
You may have to take both doors apart and compare the two sides to see what's wrong.
That has helped me countless times
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did use the other door when I was putting the messed up door back together. I'm pretty sure that the spring is messed up because when I tore the door apart it was just laying at the bottom of it, and when I put it back in it will just fall out.
How do you wind it back up the proper amount of times, if that's what is wrong with that part?

Quick Reply: Window rattles, is jerky when it goes up, and doesn't go up all the way.