Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Torque Arm bolt removal - unique problem

Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Torque Arm bolt removal - unique problem

I'm trying to remove my stock torque arm to install a BMR adjustable arm.

However, the two rear bolts on the arm are reversed in their install -- that is, the bolt was put upwards from the bottom and bolted down with the nut at the top. The service manual indicates this should be the other way around. Oddly, the last shop to touch the car was a Chevy dealer.

I can't get either nut to budge. The one closer to the front of the car is too close to the underside to hit with an impact gun, the other one won't move even WITH a dual hammer impact gun (Edit: Rated 425 ft-lb @ 90 PSI) hitting it at full force, off a 3 horse 60 gallon vertical compressor. No matter where I put the gun, these bolts won't budge. I hit them with some WD-40 but still no dice. I'm letting it soak right now.

The car is on jack stands as high as I can get 'em, and the rear end is under no load (it's fully extended).

What do I do? (Seriously stuck!)

EDIT: SOLVED. See Post #13: https://ls1tech.com/forums/16727491-post13.html

Last edited by szalkerous; 09-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seafoam Deep Creep; let it sit for an hr and try again.

WD-40 isn't a penetrating oil; or well it's a weak one.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Seafoam Deep Creep;
Do you know where I can find that? I have most major chains (in the Northeast) around my house.

EDIT: My local AutoZone carries "Sea Foam/12 oz. (354.882 ml.) Deep Creep multipurpose penetrating lubricant and cleaner"... gonna jet over there.

Last edited by szalkerous; 09-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

So far no dice.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try heating it up with a blowtorch.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

I realize its environmentally irresponsible, but spray the bolt with refrigerant for about a minute, trying to avoid the nut. Then soak with liquid wrench or Kroil. You wont damage anything by freezing it, and for me has worked almost as well as heat.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jclz28
I realize its environmentally irresponsible, but spray the bolt with refrigerant for about a minute, trying to avoid the nut. Then soak with liquid wrench or Kroil. You wont damage anything by freezing it, and for me has worked almost as well as heat.
Glad I read the posts here first. I was going to recommend the exact same thing since a guy at work today was telling me of some new stuff that is just that. It freezes it with some kind of refrigerant then you hit it with the penetrating oil and it should come undone. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the nuts are on the top so the rear dose not have to be dropped to much ,the bolts are very long.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garygnu
the nuts are on the top so the rear dose not have to be dropped to much ,the bolts are very long.
The nuts on top is a serious safety issue though. The reason they are put in from the top so is that IF the nuts loosen up and fall off, the TA doesn't come completely off the car and cause a crash.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you visually inspected the nuts? We get a lot of calls about mechanics who weld the Torque Arm bolts to the car.....seriously. So if you can't see the top of the bolt, use a mirror and see if there is a weld on there. The bolts shouldn't be THAT hard to remove.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Have you visually inspected the nuts? We get a lot of calls about mechanics who weld the Torque Arm bolts to the car.....seriously. So if you can't see the top of the bolt, use a mirror and see if there is a weld on there. The bolts shouldn't be THAT hard to remove.

- Kevin
Oh dear lord, tell me that isn't so.

You guys at BMR have obviously run into this. If they're welded, I will have to destroy the stock bolts. What is the replacement options?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Oh dear lord, tell me that isn't so.

You guys at BMR have obviously run into this. If they're welded, I will have to destroy the stock bolts. What is the replacement options?
A pair of Grade 8 bolts and ny-lock nuts...
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I realized a few vendors have replacement bolts which are longer for aftermarket torque arms, so I ordered a set of those.

As for the bolts, there was no welds on the nuts. I ended up taking two heavy duty breaker bars (28"), finagling them onto the bolt head and nut, putting in an additional 3 feet of steel pipe, and having a friend turn one while I turned the other. This actually managed to break the bolts free after a long time of messing with getting the bars lined up with the socket while still being able to find clearance. Surprisingly, under all this twist, neither bolt broke.

Also, that upper bolt on the bushing clamp sucks. Just plain sucks. Barely any room to get up in there, and takes forever to get out with a single click of the ratchet. I did not drop the transmission, although we did pull the tunnel brace ti allow us to wiggle around the torque arm for clearance. I had hoped once I got it loose to be able to yank the arm out of the bushing, but no dice. Had to remove the entire clamp.

At least it's over with and I can get on with drilling out the factory clamshell and doing the install.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
A pair of Grade 8 bolts and ny-lock nuts...
Just FWIW, I wasn't able to locate acceptable length/girth bolts at any of my local hardware stores or automotive outlets. I had to order bolts off Summit.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't get to the nut then loosen the bolt. Wrench on top with a breaker bar and socket.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
If you can't get to the nut then loosen the bolt. Wrench on top with a breaker bar and socket.
See post #13

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16727491-post13.html
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We also offer replacement bolts that might work out better for you.

- Kevin

Yes, we deal with some terrific "mechanics" who weld A-arm bolts, replace balljoints...and WELD THEM IN, or their 12-bolt keeps having the T/A bolts back out...so let's weld them on! haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
We also offer replacement bolts that might work out better for you.

- Kevin

Yes, we deal with some terrific "mechanics" who weld A-arm bolts, replace balljoints...and WELD THEM IN, or their 12-bolt keeps having the T/A bolts back out...so let's weld them on! haha
Ugh, wouldn't the correct torque, some decent threadlocker, and a careful inspection every so often be good enough?

I must admit when my 10 bolt finally lets go, I'm not excited about the setups on those 12-bolts. A few people told me to look into the Dana 60 setup, but again I heard the axle housing on that won't fit my Fays2 Watt's Link...

Couldn't you just drill the rear end housing to allow through-bolts? Admittedly, I've never seen their housing so I don't know why they're forcing you to thread to it instead of through to a nut.

I digress....

Kevin: I'm very excited to try out this BMR torque arm!!! Since I need to keep it tailshaft mounted (I want to run a true dual exhaust), should I inspect the transmission mount? I have a factory mount in there now, and will be installing poly motor mounts soon... I was told to reduce irritating vibration to leave the trans mount rubber. Should I re-up a new rubber mount just to be safe, or is there a better setup I can get my hands on that isn't a poly mount?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by szalkerous
....Couldn't you just drill the rear end housing to allow through-bolts? Admittedly, I've never seen their housing so I don't know why they're forcing you to thread to it instead of through to a nut.
The rear axle housing, from the factory, has bolts that go all the way through the bosses that are cast into the rear end housing....
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
That's what I was thinking. I did this last night....worked great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Torque Arm bolt removal - unique problem