Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

***Changing struts/shocks Newbie Question***

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ***Changing struts/shocks Newbie Question***

So my shocks/struts are incredibly worn out that I feel like I'm riding on a horse(how bumpy it is), so it's time for all the 4 corners to get new suspension. Hopefully some of the squeak noises of the rear will disappear as will(fingers crossed).

1. The front of the car takes struts and the rear takes shocks, or is it the other way around?

2. Each corner takes 1 of it's own strut mounts, for a total of 4 correct?

Since I have read(forum searching) that there is a good chance that it'll be super rusted when I get in there, so I'll be going in prepared to change out the mounts too.

3. Is the installation not terribly difficult? The best guide I could find was this:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6

Any other step-by-step ones out there that I don't know of?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Any tricks or things to look out for that caught you guys off guard the first time you guys changed your struts?

I'm a newbie going in, but I look forward to the learning
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Launching!

I'm looking into getting KYB's btw, hopefully they are half decent.

This is my daily driver and not by any means a strip car or anything racing, I drive 25mile on the highway each way for school, so as long as they are half comfortable and and maybe a step above monroe stocks, then I'll be happy, cause they seem reasonably priced on ebay.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars have shocks all around, not struts, so you'll need a total of four shocks. You may need new shock mounts and isolators for the front shocks since the shock mount nut tends to rust pretty bad and you may end up damaging/destroying the mount taking it apart from the spring. You'll also need new sway bar links which are cheap and available at your local auto parts store. The preferred shock mounts are Moog.

The link you posted was the one I used both times I've changed shocks. You may want to take the shock/spring assembly to a shop to separate them instead of using a spring compressor and doing it yourself.

KYBs are okay, but Bilsteins are about the same price and are considered a better shock by many of us.

In short, it's not a really hard job and the result are outstanding compared to the stock DeCarbons.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

go blistien and while your in there change the stock springs!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check out some Utube videos on shock swaps.what springs will you be using.use a spring compressor to undo the front springs.get some new shock mounts for the front ,they are usually rusted or rotted when you remove the originals.spray the ball joint threads with some jb80 .you mite need to loosen the brake master cylinder to remove the left shock mount.get the correct size torque bit.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't think I'll be doing springs as of right now due to my wallet not being too much full of cash right now lol

The bilstein are about 400 for 4 corners which is a decent price but unfortunately imma broke(really broke) college student that's trying to just get rid of the horsy(bouncy) ride that is with my worn shocks right now, hopefully the cheaper KYB's do the trick. The KYB's come out to $260 I think from what I've seen on ebay.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

I have had both and the kyb are not as good as the bilsteins.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

I have found that after removing the shock assy and compressing the spring, if you use a saws-all, you can cut the shaft. It took me 10 seconds to cut through the shaft, and then tapping the shaft broke it loose from the shock mount.

Just make darn sure that your spring is compressed properly and safely!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Another question: Are strut "hats" same thing as the strut mounts? Since they both sit on top of the strut?

The mount is the last piece that connects("mounts") the strut to the car frame correct? Hopefully that strut hat is just the nickname for it
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe they are the same you can look them up at auto part stores online, they look like big black mounts with 3 long screws coming out of them. They run about $39 a piece

Quick Reply: ***Changing struts/shocks Newbie Question***