Sponsored by:

New to forum and advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and advice

Greetings!!

I have been a Corvette Forum member for a while but I'm new here and this forum looks like a great place!

My present setup includes CAI, FAST102, Cam, Long Tubes, Catted X-Pipe and Magnaflow Axleback on a M6 2001 C5 Vert.

With the FAST102, would upgrading the Mass Air Flow sensor be worthwhile?
Would porting the throttle body be worthwhile? I'd want to be sure that I don't lose low end response.

Again, great to join you guys!

Jax
Old 09-13-2012, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

porting the throttle body will give you some gain. dont expect anything noticeable though
Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usnfenix
porting the throttle body will give you some gain. dont expect anything noticeable though
5-10 maybe? I just don't want it to lessen my low end response?? What can I expect porting to cost?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea somewhere around 5 to 10. You won't really lose any low end response porting your throttle body. As far as price I've seen anywhere from 150 to 300. Really depends on who you find to do it.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
It's just a start and I need more pics, but here are a few pics, videos and list of mods on my car

http://www.courtsideusa.com/club/palencia_tennis_club/
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Yea somewhere around 5 to 10. You won't really lose any low end response porting your throttle body. As far as price I've seen anywhere from 150 to 300. Really depends on who you find to do it.
Thanks! What about upgrading the MAF over my stock '01 MAF? Would that add a few HP or nothing?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaxeagle
It's just a start and I need more pics, but here are a few pics, videos and list of mods on my car

http://www.courtsideusa.com/club/palencia_tennis_club/

Car looks good! I've read a bigger MAF doesn't help much until you have a big cube motor. If you got one cheap then maybe its worth throwing on but you'll also have to retune.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
Car looks good! I've read a bigger MAF doesn't help much until you have a big cube motor. If you got one cheap then maybe its worth throwing on but you'll also have to retune.
THank you!

Yeah, the cost of a tune added to the price of even a cheap MAF upgrade doesn't seem to make it worth it. Maybe if I port the TB too.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaxeagle
THank you!

Yeah, the cost of a tune added to the price of even a cheap MAF upgrade doesn't seem to make it worth it. Maybe if I port the TB too.
Yea, i always figured if i had one laying around that i got cheap, i could throw it on after other mods that require a tune. cam,heads,etc..
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larger MAF sensors have a reputation for being a cow to tune and some people end up removing them and just getting a speed density tune. My tuner advised me against getting one because he doesn't like working with them and we decided to just go speed density.

There are some things to consider when going this route. If you live in an area that sees rapid weather changes often you might want to consider keeping the MAF sensor. If you were thinking about switching to a 102 throttle body I would say do it just to simply remove the bottle neck in the intake tract, but the stock throttle body can handle alot of horsepower.

I never drive my car in the cold (where the open tune might cause a bit of an issue, it was tuned in 103 degree weather) or in bad weather so I have never had any issues with my open loop speed density tune.

Oh well just something to consider, oh and nice vert BTW

PS Peaksspeedshop (a sponsor on here) will port your throttle body for $125
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Larger MAF sensors have a reputation for being a cow to tune and some people end up removing them and just getting a speed density tune. My tuner advised me against getting one because he doesn't like working with them and we decided to just go speed density.

There are some things to consider when going this route. If you live in an area that sees rapid weather changes often you might want to consider keeping the MAF sensor. If you were thinking about switching to a 102 throttle body I would say do it just to simply remove the bottle neck in the intake tract, but the stock throttle body can handle alot of horsepower.

I never drive my car in the cold (where the open tune might cause a bit of an issue, it was tuned in 103 degree weather) or in bad weather so I have never had any issues with my open loop speed density tune.

Oh well just something to consider, oh and nice vert BTW

PS Peaksspeedshop (a sponsor on here) will port your throttle body for $125
Awesome, that helps a lot. Sounds to me that until which time I do another larger mod then I should just leave the TB and MAF as is for now. I am not at really high HP so that probably makes sense. Perhaps when I get my new Texas Speed heads!

Quick Reply: New to forum and advice