Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 418/427 stroker build help me pick a cam and a crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
I am going to go with forged internals and a stroker in my 07 denali.
I am having some trouble picking out a cam.

I know that i want it to have a real nasty lope at idle but i also dont want to sacrifice any bottom end power. so basically i need it as big as i can go in a 418 or a 427 without loosing any low rpm torque. can someone reccomend a good cam? I am wanting to keep vvt

I originally wanted to go 427 stroker but all i keep reading is that the piston travels too far out of the bore for comfort and that it is a disaster waiting to happen.

I see that the 418 is much more reliable. Am i correct in thinking this? I want the 427 because its bigger and it sounds cool when you brag about it, but if the 418 is a much smarter, more reliable choice i would go that way.

Its a lot of money and i dont want to throw something together that may not last a long time. Can anyone vouch for the 427 that has ran it hard in their daily driver every day stomping the gas pedal to the floor with no issues? how long did it last? Has anyone had one blow up? please let me know your experiences.

The car will mainly be driven NA and probably see a little bit of spray occasionally and if the budget permits i will throw some boost on top of it someday. ive read that the 427 is fine as long as you dont exceed 12psi or a 200 shot. Is this correct? Either of those would put me around 800hp and that would be plenty for me so i probably wouldnt care to run higher boost. awd and sticky 295 nittos has me worried bad about the tranny holding up.

Thanks

Another question, there arent really any reputable engine tuners where i live and nobody has an awd dyno. Im from Fresno, California. I would have to drive to La, the bay or sac to find somebody.

Could i get by with a diablosport predator and set the LTFTs just to have it run so i can take the trip to get a real tune?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with a 418 for longevity. You are right about the piston traveling too far down the bore sometimes causing blow-by. Trust me you won't miss the 9 cu in. As for the cam call Geoff@ EPS to get you something spec'd out or get in touch with texas speed. They have some VVT shelf grinds

The handheld is a No No. Bring it to an AWD shop no matter how far it is.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Go with a 418 for longevity. You are right about the piston traveling too far down the bore sometimes causing blow-by. Trust me you won't miss the 9 cu in. As for the cam call Geoff@ EPS to get you something spec'd out or get in touch with texas speed. They have some VVT shelf grinds

The handheld is a No No. Bring it to an AWD shop no matter how far it is.
do you think it will be okay run at all so it can be driven to a shop?
otherwise I would have to pay for a tow halfway across the state. what other options are there?

Would anyone reccomend going with a blackbear autocal tune for something like this?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For such a huge investment like that I'd tow it period. I'm not sure about which shop over in Cali but I'd do a search here.

+1 on calling Eps For a custom cam, I'd also keep it a 416/418 but either you build it for spray, NA or boost. There is a middle ground for small shots of spray and NA. BUT if your going boost in the future then get the right piston and rods and rod bolts. I'm happy with my eagle assembly. Arp main studs would be in order IMHO. So would head studs/bolts.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryne@CMS is in Cali. He can see about tuning it for you. You can get a mail order tune for right now just to drive it and then bring it to a dyno to verify it and make the adjustments to it that are needed.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick at Synergy in Fremont, Ca is 120 miles away. One of the better guys doing this work.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put in some Darton sleeves and go 427. The sleeves are much harder than the stock liners and properly setup will last a very long time. They are also longer so they support the piston better at BDC. It will add about $1,800 to the build but you're right, a 427 is very cool.

Just my $.02
Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, the 427 sleeve block is the way to go if you can swing the $$.

Quick Reply: L92 418/427 stroker build help me pick a cam and a crank