General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Build my z28 for Autx or Drag?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build my z28 for Autx or Drag?

Not sure how to make a poll but non the less I would like to take a vote. Drag setup or Canyon Carving set up. Both would have to be daily drive-able. I keep going back and forth between the two lol. I would be happy with either one.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Teching In

I would make a street driven drag car out of it. Something like this badboy!

Who BTW is running an intercooler we built and drives this thing on the street A LOT. ;-)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that what works good on an auto-x track also works well on the street (good shocks, balanced sway bars, etc.).

IMO, corners are fun, that what I setup my car to do. It really depends on what you're in to.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

lol two opposite posts so I'll take that as one vote for each. That drag set up is really, really temping. Did you drive those slicks on the street 0_0 and how long will they really last... remember this is a daily driver. Also what lowering springs did you use for the drag setup. As for the other post I basically agree, shocks springs and sway bars just make street driving nice, my main issue is tires(cost and wear) and for drag a rear end that won't blow up and won't cost me $1,000+. I can afford nice rear drag slicks but not a nice rear end xD and I can afford nice shocks and sway bars but not nice tires on all 4 corners... lol. So what is going to be less expensive in the long run, I have a set of 17x11 zr1's for all four corners but I don't want to put nt05's on them and need a new set of tires every year O_O I could easily put nt555r's on two and run the stockers up front but then I would be worried about my rear end going boom. I think it would be a shame to put nt555 street tires on 17x11's all the way around and yes I am aware of the stock wheels option but they currently need 4 new tires as-well but, I think they would be useless with nice shocks/springs sways etc.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It all depends on what you want. Don't let other people build your car and make up your mind for you
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

I would love to have a car that handles well but I never find time to go to the canyons, and my car is an automatic...
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's always the option of taking your time and setting it up to do both well. You're never going to be perfect at both, but you can make a fast straight line car that corners well, as well as drives good on the street. IIRC, there's a guy out there that's cutting 1.5 60's on Koni Yellows. I'm not saying you need Koni's, but disconnect your front bar/throw in an adjustable rear bar and you can switch from the canyon to the strip without too many compromises.

I still have a lot of mods I want to do on my car, but I don't have the money to do them all. So, I just buy the components I really want, even if they're pricey (ie, the Koni's), because I know someday I'll get my car setup the way I want and I won't have to replace components and I still get the added benefit of each part. Plus, it's fun to see what each upgrade does for the cars ride/handling/performance.

My $.02
Old 09-15-2012, 03:55 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. Some good advice. I suppose your right adjustable bar in rear is a great idea, removable in front too. I'm guessing you are talking about the strano adjustable rear bar. Tires would be tricky but 17x11 in rear and 17x9.5 in front sound like a good compromise. It would under-steer a bit though but I could put the sway bar on full stiff to cancel it out and global west upper control arms to get some real negative camber would probably help too. Not too sure about the koni's though. Everyone that I have talked too that autx their camaro around where I live just says to get the blisteins. They always say, would you rather spend $400 for 4 shocks or $300 for one shock. lol makes sense really, especially in a car full of compromises. Only question is what springs to run with bilsteins.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to step back and look at what is tolerable for daily use.

I built my car primarily for drag use, if I had to dd it with the soft springs, shocks and a spool, I would be in trouble. Now you can make it drag friendly and still dd it, there are many many living examples around here, just don't expect it to run with the cars that are setup for drag only.

Imo, I would go with an autox type setup that will do decent on the drag strip as well. Having my car setup to run 1320 mainly makes it more of a pain on the street than fun unless I'm not turning.

Just sniff around the holley lsfest cars that do everything from the 30 mile cruise, start stop challenge, 1320 then turn around and throw down some awesome g's on the skid pad. Talk to some people who have done that.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

wow didn't even know about holley fest. Might have to check them out. btw my tolerance for driving souped up cars on the street is very high, ask me how I know lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build my z28 for Autx or Drag?