Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I rebuild?

Ok guys I am building a jeep with a 5.3 and a 4l60e in it. The transmission I got is from a 99 suburban 4x4 I got from the local pull a part. I know nothing about it so I am going with a full rebuild. Question is what kit should I buy? I found a company called trutech. Has anyone heard of them? Any good?
What should I look for in upgrades? I know "the beast" but what others? Like I said I will be running in a jeep with a 5.3 and probably a cam. I will be driving this on the street 99.9% of the time.
And I do want to try to do the rebuild. Thanks Robert
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have all the knowlege and proper tools to rebuild it yourself?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure I'm capable, just never done it. As far as tools I can buy,borrow, or rent.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

Search for "trutech trans". I have bought things from them, as have others, and been very satisfied with their quality and owner Jeff's service. I generally recommend getting a 4L65E rebuild kit so that you get 7 frictions for the 3/4 clutch, but that is what Trutech will provide anyway.

As I have posted many times, you must ask yourself why you want to rebuild the trans yourself. If it is to learn and enjoy the process, then go for it. Just be prepared to do a couple of swaps/rebuilds before you get it right.
If it is to save money, keep in mind that you will be into $500+ for a quality rebuild kit, $250+ for special tools and manuals, perhaps $100 for a local shop to handle special services (like installing teflon seals). Based on feedback here, I estimate more than 50% of people trying their first rebuild fail, meaning removing the trans again, buying more parts and rebuilding it again. Do you know how to tell if the pump vanes needs replacing, the valve body needs a rebuild (probably yes!) and if the reverse drum can be reused? Not sure? Then you are looking at another $175 for a rebuilt valve body and $70 for a reverse drum. It quickly adds up to the price of just buying a rebuilt trans.
I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to summarize many threads on this forum.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Search for "trutech trans". I have bought things from them, as have others, and been very satisfied with their quality and owner Jeff's service. I generally recommend getting a 4L65E rebuild kit so that you get 7 frictions for the 3/4 clutch, but that is what Trutech will provide anyway.

As I have posted many times, you must ask yourself why you want to rebuild the trans yourself. If it is to learn and enjoy the process, then go for it. Just be prepared to do a couple of swaps/rebuilds before you get it right.
If it is to save money, keep in mind that you will be into $500+ for a quality rebuild kit, $250+ for special tools and manuals, perhaps $100 for a local shop to handle special services (like installing teflon seals). Based on feedback here, I estimate more than 50% of people trying their first rebuild fail, meaning removing the trans again, buying more parts and rebuilding it again. Do you know how to tell if the pump vanes needs replacing, the valve body needs a rebuild (probably yes!) and if the reverse drum can be reused? Not sure? Then you are looking at another $175 for a rebuilt valve body and $70 for a reverse drum. It quickly adds up to the price of just buying a rebuilt trans.
I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to summarize many threads on this forum.
Thanks for the reply Yes I want to learn....but I am learning the hard way on other things Might just have to let someone else do it this time

Quick Reply: Should I rebuild?