Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me start over...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let me start over...

I have lurked this forum for a bit before registering....I did all the typical searches for my questions before I blasted off with a new thread...once I did I got minimal feedback...hey, who wants to deal with another idiot right? I get that...so anyway, heres another one. I am just looking for feedback (at this point) and opinions to my potential set up. I am about to spend a grip of cash and would rather hear the opinions of some people who have more experience than I with these engines and builds, I dont like spending money twice for one result. Here is a list and plan for what I am doing....feel free to call me an idiot if I appear that way!

This is a 1995 Camaro, former Oregon State Police car...special huh
Currently has a decently built Victory Racing Engines 383 LT1 with Performer heads, Eagle rotating assy with SRP pistons, LT1 Hot cam, OE injection with TFS 30# injectors tuned with TunerCat, 4L60e MONSTER trans, with a Moser 12 Bolt....this combo was good for 12.20's at 110 (i've never raced or tuned the car, i bought it with these credentials) The motor/trans/pcm have been removed and sold...to make way for this:

2003 LQ4 from a 1 owner Hummer H2 (I paid a little less than GM core price on it, its what I'm gonna use...) 81k miles...
The short block wont be tapped into yet. Based on knowing the history of the engine first hand and why it was removed from its donor I have confidence in it to at least get my feet wet.

Cam shaft choice is Comp Cams 54-428-11 .571/.573 228/230 112
Cylinder heads, (decided against the L92's for now) well I cant speak for the 'casting number" but they are a "race prepped" (as they call it) and flow just under 300 @ 600 lift, have CNC'd runners and chambers, 64cc with 2.02/1.55 valves, plan on using the stock rockers for now, I'm told they are good up to .600 lift...

Fuel/Air delivery will be an Edelbrock Victor Jr. EFI manifold, their 90mm elbow for LS F body, and probably their 90mm throttle body (still learning there..) with Bosch 42# injectors....I will be using an electric water pump, and I am seeing Moroso adapters to use a BBC pump? That senario is tempting because of the cost compared to actual LS electric pumps (someone chime in here if they have experience on this..will it even fit in the car??)

Harness conversion will be done by a local guy, he custom builds them for many a enthusiasts in these parts...

Transmission will be a Powerglide...not much to mention there, if someone has experience with a glide swap into an F car of this vintage please feel free to advise some tips. Seems pretty cut and dried there anyway...

Power goals are always asked, however I'm not sure how to answer. Simple bolt ons like I have mentioned with small and big block chevys in my experience dont really amount to much...but it seems 500hp is a standard obtainable number from and LSx motor...so lets go with that...I would be happy with that.
This car will be drag raced only, I'm not looking for "good street manners" or whatever, just the bracket racer basics.

just some friendly (or flaming) feed back would be appriciated....I have learned quite a bit in the last 30 days, but have alot to still learn.

Last edited by Metz Motorsports; 09-15-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: pics
Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

500 to the rear is not a standard attainable number from a bolt on and cam car from wht ive seen, it takes quite a bit of work. now 500 crank thats another story. your build looks fine, long *** thread though.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I guess I should have stated crank HP....sorry for the long read...just wanted to be clear on what I was doin! thanks for the feedback
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Teching In

laters...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If drag/bracket racing is your plan then I think you're leaving a lot of power on the table with that cam. You could squeeze a high 230s/low 240s duration cam with .600+ lift and should still have sufficient PtV clearance with those heads.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider a custom cam .
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can certainly help in the custom camshaft department! Feel free to give one of our sales/tech guys a call and we can get you setup with a custom camshaft for $399.99. If you have a specific spec in mind here is a link to our website:

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-161-com...-camshaft.aspx
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: Let me start over...