Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cruise control module do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Which cruise control module do I need?

I'm doing a V6 to V8 swap on my 2002 Firebird. Using a 5.3L instead of the 5.7 ... Wiring and ECM is all 2002. My car originally came stock with traction control and I'm assuming it will be functional after the Swap too. Which cruise control module do I need?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Your car was originally DBW right? The traction control uses that throttle body to limit throttle input when needed. You will probably need an LS1 f-body module with traction control, they're the one with two cables and the funky thing in between them. Even then it might not be easy to hook it up and make it work. If you're not dead set on having traction control it will be way easier.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Your car was originally DBW right? The traction control uses that throttle body to limit throttle input when needed. You will probably need an LS1 f-body module with traction control, they're the one with two cables and the funky thing in between them. Even then it might not be easy to hook it up and make it work. If you're not dead set on having traction control it will be way easier.
Yeah. Originally my car was DBW. I am confused though ... with my V6 motor and ECM out then the only traction control device I should have is the switch in the cabin that activates it so when the new motor goes in doesn't the new ECM itself govern traction control? Or am I missing something?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need speed sensors on the wheels if you want to run with traction control. On the Camaros they had a sensor on each wheel and it is also tied to the ABS. I believe the trucks had a 3 channel they used the tranny VSS and sensors for the front wheels. If you want to pay about $700 for a set of ATS spindles you can put the sensors on the front. Otherwise you will have to fab something up.

If you just want cruise control you need to wire the module cable directly up to the TB. The cables for a TC car and non-TC car are different but I fabbed up something that worked for me.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Yeah. Originally my car was DBW. I am confused though ... with my V6 motor and ECM out then the only traction control device I should have is the switch in the cabin that activates it so when the new motor goes in doesn't the new ECM itself govern traction control? Or am I missing something?
I'm not any kind of expert at traction control, but the PCM alone won't make it work, it needs a way to cut the throttle even if your foot is still in it at 100%. At least thats the way I understand it, and DBW can do it, just because your foot is at 100%, when the traction control kicks in, it may limit it to 25% or so, not sure actual numbers. That said, I would get the whole deal out of a TC equipped Ls1 F-body. Bczee had one for sale a while back, might message him and see if he still has it. Here's a link. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post16486578
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
You need speed sensors on the wheels if you want to run with traction control. On the Camaros they had a sensor on each wheel and it is also tied to the ABS. I believe the trucks had a 3 channel they used the tranny VSS and sensors for the front wheels. If you want to pay about $700 for a set of ATS spindles you can put the sensors on the front. Otherwise you will have to fab something up.

If you just want cruise control you need to wire the module cable directly up to the TB. The cables for a TC car and non-TC car are different but I fabbed up something that worked for me.
My car originally comes with TC so shouldn't the system for it pretty much be in place?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control uses the speed sensors so no you cannot it will not do anything. I ended up fabbing the end of the cruise control cable that went to the TC to work with the throttle body. The non-TC cars have a different cable that goes directly to the TB. You need to do the same for the gas cable. I just changed the end of the cable from the TC to the pedal. I am using the factory 4th gen harness and I did have an issue with I believe the brown 'D' pin on the cruise control module not getting 12 volts. It says it is coming from the brake switch but I have a Green/White and a Purple at the switch. The purple goes to the TCC. Factory wiring diagrams show the brown wire going to the brake switch on a auto or the clutch on a manual. I wired the brown wire to 12 volts and it works now. I am going to try to trace it back some day to figure out where the disconnect is.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 2000 + 4 channel traction control module and cables if interested and/ or when you decide on what your going to do.

Quick Reply: Which cruise control module do I need?