Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2009 cammed GT vs 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 cammed GT vs 2000 SS

One of the guys I work with and I have been giving each other light hearted crap about a race for the a few months. He drove his bolt on 09 GT to work when I was in my truck. Guys in the shop told him I'd be up for a run and he came to ask me about it. The next week I drove the car and he rode to lunch with me. He got out of the car saying that the SS felt a lot stronger but that he was taking it to the shop for a cam install.

He shows up this week and had actually had the cam installed and tuned it. Car sounded pretty good. I asked some questions. He's got FRP Hot Rod Cam, longtubes and a Borla catback, manual transmission, short throw shifter and misc bolt ons. No dyno time yet, never been on a track but the tuner tells him it should be in the 340-350RWHP range. I asked him if he was a good driver and could really shift gears. He said yes so I took him at his word and left the conversation that he's it'll be close, he'll probably outrun me but I'm going to give him a fit.

Today we got the chance to see. No digs but the runs went like this:

Rolling start at 40. He's a half car behind me and he hits it. I had manually shifted to second in anticipation of hit rolling beside me, so I just hit it too. He immediately was door to door. About 90 I pulled ahead by a fender and saw traffic about a half mile away so we rolled out.

Second run, same start but I left it in drive. Similar results but I pulled ahead to him in my blind spot.

Third run, rolling 20. He jumped on me again before getting beside me. Again, he jumped right beside me, we leveled off for a moment and I started pulling ahead again.

Final run, rolling at 30 and even starts on a head nod. He pulled a fender ahead of me and on his shift I pulled back ahead. Good roads with no traffic, we took it to 110 and I had him a little over a car length.

When we got back to lunch he acknowledged that I pulled him every time. he made a comment about my exhaust smelling really rich and I laughed saying that meant he was behind me for most of the day. We headed to do some work with a smile and his comment that he was just simply out displaced.

I wish he'd have pulled beside me and we'd gotten better starts but I think he was too excited and jumping the gun. Good times and I was pretty happy with holding my own. I just wonder what it would have looked like had we started side by side more.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Good kills. I HIGHLY doubt he is making the power you said he is. Those Thumper Cams sound mean but they don't do a whole lot in the way of performance.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea my car 05 gt with every bolt on in the book with bigger cams made 330 whp std on a dyno jet, ran a 12.6@110. No way his car is making 350.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice kill! I agree about those numbers being a little high. My brother had a full bolt on manual 06 gt with some really aggressive Comp Thumper cams (lot like the Hot Rod cams) and was a little under 330 rwhp from what I remember.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Good killl
Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing First: you were racing a mustang and not a G8 GT right? I thought you were referring to a G8 GT up until you mentioned it was a stick shift which they didn't come with. For the record, Mustang's have CAMS not a single CAM.

Good kill OP. I see he gave the "you have more displacement" excuse eh? As if it matters... car was built that way, he should bitch at Ford for not using enough displacement.

I would recommend you doing a couple more mods though, because I just can't see a guy that has that much $$$ wrapped up in his modular mustang to not do steep *** gears next. The gears will be more then enough to get ahead of you.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 09-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't call the displacement comment an excuse because he wasn't being a tool about it. It was more of an acknowledgement that he doesn't have enough.

He was already talking more mods before we ran. Some intake worth 30 HP that left me with an eye brow raised. I think gears are on his list too.

My planned mods sitting in boxes in the garage should be enough unless he does something drastic. Port & polished, milled 241s, MS3, LS6 intake with ask the valve train, 3.73s and a 3600 stall TC. Just for good measure a wet kit is there too.

Quick Reply: 2009 cammed GT vs 2000 SS