Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I've got Swirls!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I've got Swirls!

I daily drive my car so at times it looks rough but I always try to rinse it to keep it somewhat clean, Arctic White hides it pretty well.

I got around to clay barring it last week. The sail panel is black and I noticed a lot of swirls and I think some "orange peel", that blurs the reflection, correct?

As I was getting out of the car the other night the streetlight across from my driveway was shining just enough on my car to see the swirls on my hood, I can notice them on the spoiler during the day up close but not really anywhere else because it's kinda difficult to look at arctic white when the sun is out haha.

I've clay barred the car about 2 or 3 times since I've had it and waxed it by hand once. The swirls are reallly starting to bug me.

I know it'd be hard to to remove the swirls by hand. Is there a buffer or something anyone could recommend to start out with? I don't want the best out there just something to speed up the process and get these swirls off.

Can someone break down a routine for me to get in a habit of to prevent the swirls? What products, pads, and steps?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm hoping to get her lookin good for the parade next week.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the porter cable 7424xp. Its the most popular choice because its easy to use and works great. There is a professional detailer on here that has his own thread and recommends meguiars 105 and 205 polishes for own hard clearcoats.

Also look up junkman on youtube for the two bucket wash method for preventing future swirls.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SinisterBirdWS6
check out the porter cable 7424xp. Its the most popular choice because its easy to use and works great. There is a professional detailer on here that has his own thread and recommends meguiars 105 and 205 polishes for own hard clearcoats.

Also look up junkman on youtube for the two bucket wash method for preventing future swirls.
This

Also Adam's Polishes is a sponsor on here and has a lot of videos on their website. They cover it all.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Since the HD Polisher is sold out everywhere, I say Griots DA with a MF cutting pad using whatever compound you would like. Then a polishing pad with HD Polish and seal it with HD Poxy with a final finishing pad.

Now how to prevent:
-Buy 2 Grit Guards and Buckets
-A quality MF Mitt or sheeps wool, preferably one for the upper and one for bottom portion of the car
-Cobra Guzzler HD Towel for drying
-Quality MF Towels for everything else, look at Chemical Guys they have good deals on them
-Foam Gun Quart size should be plenty
-I like to wash my towels/wash mitts after each use with MF Towel detergent like Towel Kleen

-If the cars been driven or sat outside do not wipe it down or dust it
Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Too bad you don't live in Norcal. GoFast would have your Arctic White FBody looking good...

You need to do correction detailing to get them out. SinisterBird is on point in their recommendation
Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Since the HD Polisher is sold out everywhere, I say Griots DA with a MF cutting pad using whatever compound you would like. Then a polishing pad with HD Polish and seal it with HD Poxy with a final finishing pad.

Now how to prevent:
-A quality MF Mitt or sheeps wool, preferably one for the upper and one for bottom portion of the car
-Quality MF Towels for everything else, look at Chemical Guys they have good deals on them
-I like to wash my towels/wash mitts after each use with MF Towel detergent like Towel Kleen

Best advice yet
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Have you checked out the, Ask a Professional Detailing thread? If you haven't definitely do. Everything you need to know is in there.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS

Now how to prevent:

Very good post
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna take a look at the Ask a Professional Detailing thread.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Choice of products & method on something like this will be as opinionated as anything. Some of the cheaper parts store meguiars stuff has fillers that can hide small swirls for a few weeks if you don't spend enough time per area to actually remove them, then some show up later. My latest favorite for faster results is meguiars diamond cut, it stats out strong, then breaks down into a polishing rouge as it wears. If some areas are swirled & scratched deep, you may want to lightly sand them with 3000 grit before starting.
Rotary buffers give faster results, but require more care, especially on edges, making orbital buffers a safer choice for inexperienced.There are also several grades of foam pads which cut faster or gentler per application needed.
Don't be afraid to try, just use care & remember it's only paint.

Quick Reply: I've got Swirls!