Sponsored by:

HP Tuners learning curve....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners learning curve....

Hi everyone,

Up until this point I've taken my cars to have them tuned. Now I have a track only car that I would like to be able to data log and make minor adjustments as needed for different conditions.

I'm not really worried about the part throttle around town stuff as this car never gets driven on the street. How hard is the learning curve on the WOT tuning? Any good tools or resources?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Figure 6 months of reading in an average persons spare time with a decent mechanical base to work from.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Launching!

With a wideband and a little time/effort on your part you should be able to pick it up.

WOT is one of the easier parts to tune, just make small changes and learn how to set up and use the scanner.

It's well worth it in my opinion.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

please update if you jump in - I'm thinking about it too. the deal is you get to flash it to 2 separate VIN's right ?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends what suite you go with.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet is to buy a few books and start reading. If it starts making sense then buy the software or decide to pay someone else to tune it if you are totaly lost.

http://www.amazon.ca/Engine-Manageme.../dp/1932494421
http://www.amazon.ca/High-Perf-Fuel-...d_bxgy_b_img_b
http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

You will need a wideband to tune WOT
Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally depends on how much time you can invest initially, and how fussy your going to be with the habits of the car.

I've been playing with it for years and still feel like a rookie
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Figure 6 months of reading in an average persons spare time with a decent mechanical base to work from.
That's about what mine was. But it's also an ongoing process. Everytime you learn one thing, 56 other things pop up. I'd imagine being a doctor would be easier.... Our model years change every 6 months... Just gotta sort thru what you need and what can wait.

I've been into tuning for about two years now. Pretty confident at making changes to the car, and if I have questions I search around. Look into some literature to familiarize yourself, and download the HPT demo and poke around a couple files. I downloaded the demo first, and followed what the topics were through the software. That helped a lot.

If after a while it seems that you aren't drawn into it, then it's probably not going to work out. I had a buddy that has always wanted to learn how to tune, but he never could put the effort into learning about it. Even admits he doesn't have the attention span for it. For me, it was just one of those things that the more layers I peeled, the more difficult it got, the more I wanted to know. LS1 stuff is pretty cut and dry for now, but ETC stuff gets pretty complex. I'm not quite there yet. I'd need an ETC car to play with for a while.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's got a decent learning curve to it for sure. Just did a LS3 swap into my 01 Z28 and I've got it to where it's driveable on the street but there's just little things here and there that just bother me.

Be prepared for a stiff, initial learning curve that will discourage you. If you get past that the software is pretty stout.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners learning curve....