Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Land Rover Discovery II?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Land Rover Discovery II?

LS1 Land Rover Discovery II ? Again?

This has been kicked around off and on with most threads abruptly ending without a clear idea if it will work or not. I'm curious about how one would get a LS1 to work in a Land Rover Discovery II. Recently I found an interesting thread on a LR forum that would retain the LR ECU and then use all of the needed info sensors on the GM engine, figuring the ECU doesn't care what metal it's running as long as it goes the correct info from temp, O2, Air, timing, etc. Supposedly the timing order is the same between the aluminum Rover engine and the GM and resistance at the injectors is close enough to be in spec. Is this a no go for other reasons? If so what would be the most challenging part? I'm aware of the weight and torque concerns but a 4.8 or mild 5.3 should be within the transmissions torque spec. Adaptors can be made (already made in Australia I think). If the above idea sounds silly, is using a custom LS1 ECU to work with the Rover doable? I've read some posts with LS1's being plugged into late model BMW's and would thing that would have similar challenges.

Some background info, I know very little about tuning LS1's so forgive the redundancy or nativity of my questions, but am intrigued. LR Discovery's are, IMO, great trucks with a crappy engine. The mantainence requirements and failure rate of these engines is epic. Discos are also now cheap enough and make a project like this financially interesting. Any info appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 Land Rover Discovery II?