General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Considering running MAFless, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Considering running MAFless, need some advice

Since discovering my intermittent power loss was caused by my MAF either being defective somehow or dirty (which is more than likely the case), I decided to do some research on the subject and have read that many people have decided to just run the car w/o the MAF plugged in. I don't see my car getting very crazy in the near future as far as mods right now I'm just looking into LT's, P&P throttle body, and an LS6 intake. My question is, are there any steps i need to take as far as the computer is concerned on the car, where running w/o the MAF long term won't come back and bite me in the ***? I have read something about a certain type of tune people put on the car to run MAFless (a speed something or other), but i didn't get into much detail. Any insight and/or advice and points of view are appreciated and taken in with an open mind.

Thanks in advance,

Endrance
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Speed Density tune. Allows the car to run without a MAF. Maf definitely hurts your car in the hp department. Defininitely get rid of it.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would keep the maf if your driving it a lot as it will affect mpg's speed density tune's are for cars with over 500rwhp but your just very simple boltons so I see no reason for the no maf
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

The way i understood the article was that the speed density tune was for not-so crazy cars, but i guess i read it wrong. The mileage is kinda meh for me. The car is my DD but i barely drive, and I feel as though the car works better w/o it.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

when you unplug the MAF the car will revert to the low octane spark table, so if you want to run SD you'll definitely want to get it tuned. I'm halfway through tuning and haven't gotten to the MAF yet, so I'm running speed density on my bolt on car and the throttle response and performance with the VE (volumetric efficiency) table somewhat tuned is noticeably better than running off of the stock MAF untuned. Even with the MAF plugged in it occasionally references the VE table but that's beside the point. I would assume once I tune the MAF the performance will remain the same. The biggest advantage is probably weather/temp with the MAF from what I've read, and since the winters by me are cold and summers are hot, I'll be keeping it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

would keep the maf if your driving it a lot as it will affect mpg's
That's not true on a properly tuned car.

speed density tune's are for cars with over 500rwhp
Again, don't really know where you got that number but simply not true.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way you'll see a gain with SD is if you're flowing more air than a stock one can flow. Then you still have options..an 85mm when you outgrow the stock one, then the 100mm if you outgrow the 85mm. SD does not add power in and of itself.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
The only way you'll see a gain with SD is if you're flowing more air than a stock one can flow. Then you still have options..an 85mm when you outgrow the stock one, then the 100mm if you outgrow the 85mm. SD does not add power in and of itself.
It's really not about the power tbh. I just want the car to be running right without any problems so it can produce the power it already has without detonation or bogging down all the time, and it seems to do that MAFless. Now the big question is, when i start modding my car, will running without the MAF and without a tune for that harm it a lot?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Without a tune, the car basically goes into limp mode when it is unplugged. Not a good idea. The only problems I have seen with speed density tuning is weather changes. Air quality, moisture content and density of the air will all throw off the tune. Kinda like running a carb.

Quick Reply: Considering running MAFless, need some advice