Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having some possible tune/MAF problems HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some possible tune/MAF problems HP Tuners

I am going to try to explain this the best I can Im not an HP Tuner expert just know a little here and there.

I have a 01 WS6. This car is a heads/cam car as follows:
232/236 586/587 114lsa
Trickflow ported 220's 59cc
Harlan Sharp 1.7 Rockers
7.4 Push Rods
Trick Flow dual springs
92/92 Intake
And your basic lid,longtubes,catless mids, and exhaust.

Car ran great for a while until this year started noticing I was having some idle issues when the weather started getting colder. And also noticed just smell of raw fuel sometimes. So I had a second opinion on my tune from another tuner and turns out some things he didnt think my V/E table was correct but wouldnt know until he could run the car and see what it was doing. Basically what it has been doing is during the day car will run fine with the heat of the day. But as soon as its been getting dark and chilly at night it changes. If i am slowing to a stop and put it in netural to let it idle before I get to a stop the car wont adjust and car will just die. Once I fire it back up I have to give it a little gas and finally will come back and run and idle perfect until I do the same thing over and over again.

This brings me to Saturday I took it out to a dyno day and weather here in Ohio is beginning to get chilly during the day now. Car ran fine when first started until I made a stop and it died every single time I stopped. I have HP tuners so I said I need to scan the car and see If I have any hidden codes. Well turns out I had a P0103 MAF code. I cleared the code and car ran fine for a little and then code came back. Me thinking I had a bad MAF I went to buy a new one. Cleared the code and it came back. Car started doing same all over again. But did notice once the plug was not hooked up it would run fine.

So this brings me to Sunday evening I brought the car out and had HP with me and had someone who knows a little about it to see if where we can find the MAF info in the program. So we went into the catagory and seen this.

Now correct me If I'm wrong but shouldnt there be a value in there and not 0?

I was alerted of this by my friend so we changed the value to 12,000. Turns out code went away and car ran awesome!

But then I got another code right off the bat. P0101 which is that value box right below that. Now I know 100% I was not tuned speed density otherwise my tuner would have told me so. But from what i gathered thats the way it looked as my MAF was shut off. I never messed with it ever since the tune was done which was last year and didnt even know where the MAF settings were as I had to ask where to go inside HP to get into this.

Car as of now will idle sometimes when coming to stop and sometimes it wont. As far as someone asking me to go back to my tuner well he kinda disappeared on me and have no way of contact at this point and am ready to seek someone new to see if this problem can be fixed in the tune or what needs done. So any advice or help in changing values in HP would be greatly appreciated to me and my car!

Thanks for your time in reading this matter

Chris

Last edited by CGriff04; 09-17-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, since you have HPtuners you should give your whole tune a makeover and get familiar with it during the process...Here's a quick rundown of what you should do:

Turn off all your adaptive idle parameters. Under idle, idle airflow tab, change idle in gear, idle in park, ac on, ac off, set all of them to zero. Then log a cold start of your desired airflow vs coolant temp so that you can fill in your base running airflow table.

Also, look at your iac counts at hot idle and make sure they are within range. If not you will need to mechanically adjust your throttle body. Once you have your airflow numbers (RAF) turn your adaptive idles back on. Then go back and clean up your VE and MAF tables and you shouldn't have anymore stumbles or dying coming to a stop...if you do, then it'll be a lot easier to help you with those variables out of the way.

Quick Reply: Having some possible tune/MAF problems HP Tuners