Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differences in axles

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in axles

I've been looking forever to find the differences in axle sizes for a stock 10 bolt between the years of 93-02. I couldn't seem to find them anywhere, but upon searching for a replacement axle shaft, I was informed by firehawkjeff, the differences between the axles. I figured I'd post them here for anyone else that runs into the problems I did with my 97 SS.

97+ wheels had a 1.5 mm smaller hub diameter than the 93-96 wheels. GM also made the hub on the rear axle 1.5 mm, but did not change the front hub diameter.

98-02 axles are 3/16" shorter than the 93-97. So if used on a 93-97 housing you would have to install spacers between the hub and the brake rotor. if you don't install a spacer then the rotor interferes with the caliper carrier.

The 98-02 axles are the same V6 & V8. And of course traction control axles are different respectively as well.

If you look at the wheel studs (easier with the wheel off) you can tell what year axles they are. They have a slight tint to them. The 98-02 are blue, the 97 is light green and the 93-96 is silver.

Last edited by sc.schultz; 09-18-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Differences in axles