Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune vs HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Tune vs HP Tuners

Ok i've searched over an hour and i've realized its all based on your setup but I want to know what others would do and weigh the pros and cons of having a dyno tune (speed inc) or just buy HP tuners and have it anytime. Here is my setup and it has a mail order tunebyfrost rear o2 delete, skip shift elimiated, gear change etc but I keep throwing lean codes in banks 1 and 2 and its running RICH not lean i've been through everything and i'm concluding its the tune I just have too much for a mail order. This is NOT my daily driver so I want to know what benefits and negatives I have since tuning is all new to me. Its running rich and still getting 17-19 mpg mix city and hwy. I can only think that my a/f ratio is way off causing the computer to throw a lean code but run rich. Here is my setup. I'm leaning towards HP tuners because I can tune on the go and have plenty of help and support since it isn't my DD

Tuned PCM by Tunedbyfrost 6500 rev limit
Pacesetter 1 3/4 headers
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
new rings, crank and rod bearings
ARP Rod Bolts
QTT cam 232/236 .601/.601 112 LSA
Lunati Lifters
TSP 7.4" hardened push rods
Cloyes billett timing chain
Ported LS6 oil pump
MLS head gaskets
.241 head casting milled .010, valve job, bowl and throat blend
PRC dual valve springs .675
LS6 intake
fast 42lb injectors
all new engine gaskets and sensors
ls2 style starter
spec stage 2 clutch
motive 4.10 gears
rear end rebuilt with Ratech bearings
air lid
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Whats your air/fuel ratio
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ATEURZO6
Whats your air/fuel ratio
part of the problem i wish i knew
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Ok well how do you know your running rich? if you dont have cats then you can still get that "rich" smell even though its really not.. Steve is pretty good about doing mail order tunes.. But IMO they are a good starting point and usually run good but unless you can send him data logs for him to change it then you should get to a local tuner to have it fine tuned.. Learning to tune on your own isnt that bad just read read read.... tweak tweak tweak... And save the first file and dont write over it lol ... And get a wideband!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Launching!

But at least if you do start to tune your own your at a good starting point... Steve is jam up !
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATEURZO6
Ok well how do you know your running rich? if you dont have cats then you can still get that "rich" smell even though its really not.. Steve is pretty good about doing mail order tunes.. But IMO they are a good starting point and usually run good but unless you can send him data logs for him to change it then you should get to a local tuner to have it fine tuned.. Learning to tune on your own isnt that bad just read read read.... tweak tweak tweak... And save the first file and dont write over it lol ... And get a wideband!
Heavy on all of the above. Without cats your exhaust will smell so your fueling might be closer than you think. You get a wideband & you'll know what your AFR is. Nice thing about being able to tune yourself: you can make any changes you want without paying a shop every time. Bad thing: simulating a dyno pull on the street, been there done that. Its not always convenient but much safer to do at a local track.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for advice yes only heard good things from Steve. I can't for the life of me figure out why these codes are being set off. I was thinking about getting the hp wideband as well as tuning software. So I will be able to save my current tune for a "just in case" correct? the closest shop to me that anyone recommends is speedinc. Which unfortunately is 3+ hours away.... Thinking my frost tune is a good starting point if I can save that data. I'm not looking to run it down the track anytime soon. Keeping it a street able car (as much as it can be haha)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lean condition may not be in the tune? How old are your O2 sensors? You need to get some data loggin on the car either by taking it to a dyno with AFR diagnostics, or installing a wideband of your choice, AEM and LC1 seem to be the most popular. Your probably looking at about $800+ to buy HP tuners with the enhanced I/O, and a wide band, but you will learn alot, and have it for a long time. It depends how involved you want to get, you couple probably pay somone about $400 to sort it out for you. It depends on your personality, are you a tinkerer, or just want it fixed.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally i am opting for both. Got HP tuners and am going to get it as dialed in as possible on the street. For the WOT pulls I found a dyno shop that will let me rent the dyno and provide someone to run the dyno and offer advice on the tune.

Best of both worlds get to learn a lot and the software and credits are mine to keep.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
Personally i am opting for both. Got HP tuners and am going to get it as dialed in as possible on the street. For the WOT pulls I found a dyno shop that will let me rent the dyno and provide someone to run the dyno and offer advice on the tune.

Best of both worlds get to learn a lot and the software and credits are mine to keep.
Unfortunately i dont have a dyno tuner that close so if i went to dyno i would want to pay for full tune job not just WOT run. I have all winter to read, learn and tweek. Am i able to save the frost tune set up on HP tuners so i have a basis to fall back on if i do HP tuners instead of dyno?

I need to have someone hook a wideband so I know what its running i understand that. It ran with no SES light after all motor work for about 1,200 miles. Doesn't seem to be running different and i havent lost or gained any gas mileage. Once I get someone with a wideband hooked up i'll post for more opinions.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good choice for you....get the wideband and go from there. But for the driveablity part of the tune I am willing to bet Frosts tune is spot on. Some people........... kind of depends on what the car likes.....they lean it out into the 15's A/R to get better MPG. And that is having a wideband in the exhaust system and driving around and making changes.

Having it dyno tuned is only gonna gain you WOT hp and in the area of 10-20hp so he is very close on his tunes.

From what I know of there are only 6 Dyno's in the US that can do a pull from idle to WOT and all wheel drives for a tune. So they can do driveablity tuning on the dyno. My new tuner is Sioux Falls, SD has one that does that......... and it is pretty cool.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
That is a good choice for you....get the wideband and go from there. But for the driveablity part of the tune I am willing to bet Frosts tune is spot on. Some people........... kind of depends on what the car likes.....they lean it out into the 15's A/R to get better MPG. And that is having a wideband in the exhaust system and driving around and making changes.

Having it dyno tuned is only gonna gain you WOT hp and in the area of 10-20hp so he is very close on his tunes.

From what I know of there are only 6 Dyno's in the US that can do a pull from idle to WOT and all wheel drives for a tune. So they can do driveablity tuning on the dyno. My new tuner is Sioux Falls, SD has one that does that......... and it is pretty cool.
I didnt even think about that dyno tune being for only WOT. I dont go to track or anything my car has just been a project and this is the first thing i've come across with a hiccup i haven't figured out on her yet. Yeah driveability is great considering the size of cam (doesn't like to be under load under 1,500 rpms) i'm getting 16-18 mpg mixed driving and not the lightest foot. I've heard nothing but good things with Frost tunes. Maybe hp tuners is the way to go
Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Launching!

I'd say go hptuners as it sounds like you have the time and willingness to learn most of the stuff invovled. i've had it for a while now and am just about to start using it, haha. it is very complicated and indepth, but it's not as bad/hard as some would have you believe. Then again, you are working on a decently sized cammed car. best advice i've ever seen for using is hptuners is learn the scanner. it really is the key to proper tuning.

and i wish i'd known sioux falls had one of those dynos. woulda pushed a little harder to drive my car there instead of flying.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

W/ those mods dyno tune all the way, its worth the extra money
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Teching In

not so much worried about cost upfront its more considering long term costs....hp i can go out to garage and tweak....dyno costs to get back on retune and plan a day off work since there isnt one close. still havent hooked up a wideband yet gotta get that done asap
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy HP Tuners and put it on the dyno after you get some street driving and logging done.

It is a big learning curve but you will be able to adjust or see/fix the issues instead of trying to guess at it or pay someone else to find it.

You will also need a good wideband too.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune vs HP Tuners