General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rain leaking in car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain leaking in car

This is the first time I have ever found water inside my 2000 TA. The front passenger floor is soaking wet and when it's raining and I'm in the car sitting still, you can see the water draining out of the plastic windshield post cover from that little vent hole that is about the size of a quarter. It drains out of there down the side of the dash and then onto the floor. I checked the T-top, but it is completely dry and that is the only place I see that it could possibly be coming from though. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had the same problem?
The other place is in the rear cargo area. After it poured rain yesterday, I had to run errands this morning and when I opened up the hatch, it had a foot of water standing down inside there. The seal on the back hatch is fine and does not have any rotten spots or split areas on the rubber. I can't figure this one out either. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to have a 1992 Bonneville SSEi with a sunroof that soaked the driver's seat a couple of times. It turned out that the drain for the gutter around the sunroof, which flows down the inside of the A-pillar was clogged, probably with leaves from our redwood tree. I rigged up a vacuum attachment with my dad that went down to the diameter of some drip irrigation tubing and poured water down the hole and kept vacuuming until it was clear. Maybe start by pouring some water into the gutter around the T-top and see where it goes.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Here is a tip spray soapy water around the windshield and t top then blow air from inside, the bubbles will be your leak! Please do not ever use a blow gun to try to clean sunroof drains. I spent a **** load of time once fixing a Cadillac someone did this and broke a hidden joint in the tube .
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I used to have a 1992 Bonneville SSEi with a sunroof that soaked the driver's seat a couple of times. It turned out that the drain for the gutter around the sunroof, which flows down the inside of the A-pillar was clogged, probably with leaves from our redwood tree. I rigged up a vacuum attachment with my dad that went down to the diameter of some drip irrigation tubing and poured water down the hole and kept vacuuming until it was clear. Maybe start by pouring some water into the gutter around the T-top and see where it goes.
Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drop top glassman
Here is a tip spray soapy water around the windshield and t top then blow air from inside, the bubbles will be your leak! Please do not ever use a blow gun to try to clean sunroof drains. I spent a **** load of time once fixing a Cadillac someone did this and broke a hidden joint in the tube .
That's a great idea. I will try it and see what happens. Sounds like it would be pretty easy to do and to see the leak from the bubbles. Thanks

Quick Reply: Rain leaking in car