Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger vs Head/Cam Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger vs Head/Cam Package

I have a 2001 WS6 and i was wondering whether or not i should get a supercharger or get a More Performance Head/Cam package. The head/cam package includes dyno tuning and install, and cost at about $4300. How much does a relatively quiet supercharger cost? And how many hours of labor would it be to get it put in? I'm drawn more towards the head/cam package becuz i don't want to put too much boost and blow my motor. BTW i have a m6 tranny.

Last edited by WS6Fiend; 04-08-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Nobody going to touch this one?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6Fiend
I have a 2001 WS6 and i was wondering whether or not i should get a supercharger or get a More Performance Head/Cam package. The head/cam package includes dyno tuning and the install cost at about $4300. How much does a relatively quiet supercharger cost? And how many hours of labor would it be to get it put in? I'm drawn more towards the head/cam package becuz i don't want to put too much boost and blow my motor.
Dyno tuning and install cost $4300 damn, thanks god for here in kuwait the install H&C will cost $300 and may less but we don't have dyno

Those are very different, what you looking for? HP or the costing ?? my opinion both will cost you

What's your Transmission M6 or A4??

The supercharger it's very nice step but you need tuning the PCM, injectors 42 or 46 and you can runing from 6 to 9 PSI if you want going a higher go with a higher octane.

Also H&C package you can get 450+rwhp check the newest results for H&C package.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fahad
Dyno tuning and install cost $4300 damn, thanks god for here in kuwait the install H&C will cost $300 and may less but we don't have dyno

Those are very different, what you looking for? HP or the costing ?? my opinion both will cost you

What's your Transmission M6 or A4??

The supercharger it's very nice step but you need tuning the PCM, injectors 42 or 46 and you can runing from 6 to 9 PSI if you want going a higher go with a higher octane.

Also H&C package you can get 450+rwhp check the newest results for H&C package.

Hi dude

I’m sorry for any disturbing.

I’m just wanna if any ls1 parts for ls1 available in Kuwait ((heads – cam –stroker kit – super )) .

My regards
Old 04-08-2004, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

research it, both have ups and downs, h/c are cheaper, but your car is going to loap and so on. Supercharger's are more for a daily driver aspect. With the super you can tune it to where it is safe, alot of people talk about the comp ratio, but as long as it's tunded well it is not a worry. It will be more expensive but it will be better for a daily driver. Plus with say a vortec intercooled kit you will turn about 460-480 rwhp and around 446 rwtq with accurate tunning. Plus with a super the need for a 12 bolt is less b/c you are luanching off close to stock hp. Look at GM High tech magazine they had a TA with bolt ons and a V9 vortec aftercooled kit running 11.60 on street tires. They call it Prey Drive. Takes about a day to 2 to install, is pretty quiet. You can ask them at More perf. they tuned this car.

But then Heads and Cam, cheaper, don't have to build up boost to get power, Killer loap, with some. Some people love the loap some people hate it. But if you want to turn the power a Supercharger does, your gonna need loap. Also need high lift springs, and so on.

So it all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Teching In

I guess I can provide a little bit of input. About the supercharger, if I remember correctly the LS1 has a CR of around/at 10:1. The CR in the Mach 1 motors is 10.1:1. Quite a few people have put forced induction on the Machs. One guy has a TT kit and is running 8 lbs, another has a single turbo and is at 9 lbs and has over 30k street miles on his car, another has a P-1SC Intercooled Procharged Mach with the 12 lb pulley and has around 30k street miles on his car, too. All have had no problems so far with grenading the short block.

Now I know they're 2 totally different motors, but it does show that forced induction can be done safely on a high compression motor with stock not-built-for-boost internals. I'd say if money was no object than go with a Procharger, make sure the fuel system is up to the task, and get a safe tune. If getting a supercharger would put a big hurtin on your wallet go with the heads/cam. Plus the lope of a cammed LS1 is to die for. I've been out of the loop for a while, but $4,300 for a heads/cam/tune seems awfully steep. I'm for forced induction, but then again, I drive a Mustang .
Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Do a search...there are threads just like this multiple times a day. Heads and cam will be way cheaper...especially if you install them yourself, which is relatively easy if you ask me. A supercharger will give you great daily driver duties and loads of power when you want it but there is a lot more to the installation whether you do it or a shop does it. You should be able to get a good h/c package done yourself for $3000-4000 but a s/c will run you at least $5000 with no install costs or any other parts you might need...my .02
Old 04-08-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did Heads/Cam/lsx D1 procharger/forged pistons/ drives fine also.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:04 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both on this car, last year heads/cam/M6, this year stock heads/cam P1SC/TH350 and headers.

Heads and cam will be cheaper, since you already have an LS6 intake that saves you a few bucks. You will need the usual, pulley, lid, headers, ported TB etc to get to the power level of a decent blower but it will still be cheaper. I like the blower just to be different, if I wanted to go fast there would be no doubt heads/cam/nitrous would be on the car.

Its a personal preference, if you like the look/sound of a supercharger then do it, if you like the lope of a bigass cam then go that route. Also remember a lot of the big HP head/cam guys have gone through a few sets of heads and a few different cam 'o the months plus headers etc to get there. Thats fine if you do the work yourself but if you are paying someone it gets a little pricey..

Naturally the head/cam guys are going to say to go that route and the same with the blower guys.. If you want the blower be prepared to spend ~2000.00 or more compared to heads/cam - especially if you are paying for labor..
Old 04-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I think i'm going to end up doing the head/cam package becuz of the price. I'm a college student so i think this would be "easier" on the wallet.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Teching In

And as for the Install comment for being $4300. That includes everything rocker arms, pushrods, cam, heads, dyno tune, springs, and new valves.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would look at some of the sponsors to compare prices. TSP offers a ton of packages between 1700-2500 that includes everything part wise besides rockers, and you can reuse your stockers. TEA and AS offer heads and the other parts that are needed, and you can pick up a Futral cam, and wouldn't be out more than 3000--at most depending on heads though. Dyno tune is 400 usually, and alot of places do installs for 500-1000. What are the heads/cam in the package?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BoneSS
I would look at some of the sponsors to compare prices. TSP offers a ton of packages between 1700-2500 that includes everything part wise besides rockers, and you can reuse your stockers. TEA and AS offer heads and the other parts that are needed, and you can pick up a Futral cam, and wouldn't be out more than 3000--at most depending on heads though. Dyno tune is 400 usually, and alot of places do installs for 500-1000. What are the heads/cam in the package?
I second that. The labor is where you really get killed. I see most places charge upwards of $1,000 for the heads/cam install. You should be able to get dyno-tuned for $300-500 too.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by indy500
Hi dude

I’m sorry for any disturbing.

I’m just wanna if any ls1 parts for ls1 available in Kuwait ((heads – cam –stroker kit – super )) .

My regards
Sure.. %80 from parts for LS1 and LT1 and 10 shops for high performance parts (heads-cams-more & more) we have it in kuwait, about stroker kit and SC for LS1 you must make a deal, almost here in kuwait many parts for muscle cars and many guys i know them they used the internet orders (shipping) for the newest parts.

where did you live?

Last edited by Fahad; 04-11-2004 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Head/Cam Package