General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Backfire at idle after motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Backfire at idle after motor mount?

I just recently had the motor mounts replaced on my car and since then I have noticed a popping/backfire at idle on warmer days. On cooler days, there is not a backfire. Also I have noticed when I pour a bottle of the Chevron Fuel filter cleaner it stops the backfires, but once that tank is gone and replaced with only gasoline, the pop returns.

I was initially thinking spark plugs, checked and all the boots are properly in place. But since the backfires goes away with the fuel cleaner (have tried it 3 times now), was not sure if that makes sense. The car is not throwing any codes.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

No one with any ideas? I plan on replacing the spark plugs...just wondering if there is something else going on as well?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Just to give an update, ended up changing out the spark plugs and found this on the driver's rear (only had the dealership change that side since I already did the passenger side).

Drove the car around and no further backfires.

And before everyone asks why I didn't just do the driver's side since I already did the passenger side, I was running short on time and they quoted couple hundred...after the headache of the passenger side... I was more than happy to just pay that not to have to deal with it.
So far because of the dealership, had to replace the alternator wire that they ruined and now this...hopefully nothing else in the near future.

Quick Reply: Backfire at idle after motor mount?