Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Sleeve repair 6.0 iron block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Sleeve repair 6.0 iron block?

Does anyone here have experience with sleeving an iron LS block for a repair?

I have an LY6 the machine shop damaged while boring one of the cylinders. The tool came loose and took a gouge out upon entry. They have been looking for a replacement block for some time, but these Gen IV iron blocks are harder to come by than the older LQ4/9 blocks and aren't available new. They've offered to sleeve my block and not charge for any of the machine work to finish everything out (deck/bore/hone/etc). I have been reading about sleeves and it seems the only problem with them is if they are installed without a step or flange to keep them in place, sometimes they can work loose axially. Otherwise if they are installed with a proper interference fit and finished like a normal cylinder they work fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or advice for me?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I would do is call Steve at RED. I believe he is a sponsor here. We use him exclusively for any sleeve work we need done! He will steer you straight.

http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...4927/index.htm

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with Matt
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only had to sleeve one so far, it's no different than sleeving an older SBC or most any other motor, bore it for the proper press, and leave a step at the bottom for the sleeve to stop against and once it's decked and honed you'll never know the difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. Nothing wrong with sleeving an iron block. Common practice back in The day when small block Chevy's weren't as plentiful as they are today.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt I would have a shop that damaged the block in the first place go through the liner process. Too many things could be done half-*** and only show up later when they will deny any responsibility.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
First thing I would do is call Steve at RED. I believe he is a sponsor here. We use him exclusively for any sleeve work we need done! He will steer you straight.

http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...4927/index.htm
Thanks for the reference. I will try contacting him.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I doubt I would have a shop that damaged the block in the first place go through the liner process. Too many things could be done half-*** and only show up later when they will deny any responsibility.
This is probably my biggest fear. I am not sure how much I should be worried though as the shop does have a good reputation. This work is being done by QMP Racing in Chatsworth.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

I'm a machinist as well, and I'll tell you, things happen. If they have a good rep and they are willing to stand by their work, no reason I wouldn't let them do it.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
I'm a machinist as well, and I'll tell you, things happen. If they have a good rep and they are willing to stand by their work, no reason I wouldn't let them do it.

Agreed. If they were up front and honest about what happened I'd let them finish it out, especially since they're offering to foot some of the bill. Take help whenever it's offered............
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I spoke to the shop a bit more yesterday to get details. They leave a step at the bottom of the cylinder to retain the sleeve. The block is honed for a smooth interference fit to optimize heat transfer. They use dry ice to shrink the sleeve prior to install. No sealant / locking compounds are used to prevent loss of heat transfer. In their opinion the repair is as reliable as the original block when done properly.

I private messaged back and forth with Steve @ RED per Matt's recommendation. He echoed this is not an uncommon repair and when done properly is as reliable as the original block. The important thing to note is that if the block is cracked it will likely leak. In my case, the block is not cracked and the damage did not break a water jacket. Steve was very helpful over PM and I greatly appreciate his advice.

QMP has been honest with me about what happened. If they were dishonest I think they would have just sleeved it without telling me what happened since the sleeve will not be easy to see once the fix is done. They have also offered to work with me to make things right. At this point I am leaning toward taking their offer and having them proceed with the sleeve.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

If this was a regular iron block I would think the cost of sleeving the block would be close to the price of a new block, could be wrong tho.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FlamingTA
If this was a regular iron block I would think the cost of sleeving the block would be close to the price of a new block, could be wrong tho.
A regular iron sleeve in a iron block should be around $100 or less. A nodular iron sleeve should be a little more.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

I wouldn't get uptight about your sleeve repair. You will be O.K. if it is done properly. I have done these on iron blocks without any trouble. Their procedure you outlined is normal. Installing repair sleeves on these iron blocks is no different than doing it on older SBC's

I get 110.00 to sleeve a cylinder, sleeves for these run around 65.00 (this is extra), and then I charge to finish hone it with the rest of the other cylinders If I use a torque plate (likely) and studs I charge a little extra because it takes more time set it up. (LS V-8 torque plate hone w/ ARP studs is 175.00).

I'd say let them do it! Sleep fine. It'll be O.K.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Alright, I spoke to the shop last week and gave them the go ahead to sleeve the damaged cylinder. Thanks for the feedback and advice. It has been very helpful.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Here is the finished product. You can see where the sleeve mates with the block both at the deck surface and near the bottom of the cylinder where they left a step in the block to support the sleeve. It was machined after install and I can not feel the transition with my fingers.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Fine work
Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Been running my sleeved 6.0 15,000 track miles w/ no problems.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgive a dumb question . . .

What are the differences between the Gen IV cast iron block vs. the Gen III cast iron block ?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
What are the differences between the Gen IV cast iron block vs. the Gen III cast iron block ?
Replied in your other thread w/ this question.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ron-block.html

Quick Reply: Sleeve repair 6.0 iron block?