Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help preplaning Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help preplaning Mods

I am preparing to install headers and an catted Y on my 2002 Firehawk. I am not too mechanically inclined but I understand that LT's typically cause a rich condition. There is only one local shop that offers dynotuning but they have no reprogamming software to adjust my car. They basically told my that if I brought a laptop and program they would give me my readouts and I could make adjustments myself. My question is:
What do I need to buy to adequetely tune my car keeping in mind that this is all new to me.? Is there a beginner freindly program that is reasonably priced?
I would much rather take it to an expert and let them do it, but I can't find anyone! What should I do?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

I use a datalogger to log my driving. then using the results of that I make a small change in my program, then log again. By making one or two small changes at a time, it becomes more predictable and easier then making one drasticly changed program, where is something is not right, I would have no clue as to what is was. Programming is just like everything else, start with small baby steps, and the more you do the better you will get.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk913
I am preparing to install headers and an catted Y on my 2002 Firehawk. I am not too mechanically inclined but I understand that LT's typically cause a rich condition. There is only one local shop that offers dynotuning but they have no reprogamming software to adjust my car. They basically told my that if I brought a laptop and program they would give me my readouts and I could make adjustments myself. My question is:
What do I need to buy to adequetely tune my car keeping in mind that this is all new to me.? Is there a beginner freindly program that is reasonably priced?
I would much rather take it to an expert and let them do it, but I can't find anyone! What should I do?
what city do you live in...

chances are that somebody is close enough to help you...
on a 2002 all you need is hptuner
( http://www.hptuners.com/index.html )
and theres got to be a shop somewhat close with the capability of tuning....
Old 04-08-2004, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by soundengineer
what city do you live in...

chances are that somebody is close enough to help you...
on a 2002 all you need is hptuner
( http://www.hptuners.com/index.html )
and theres got to be a shop somewhat close with the capability of tuning....
I am in Exter New Hampshire
Old 04-08-2004, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

I also have a set of LT's waiting to go on, but I asked around before purchase about the rich cond. Most everyone (I only asked on this board to members I trusted experience-wise) I PM'd, said that as long as you get extensions for the front 02's and sims for the back you'd be ok w/o a tune. Oh yeah, get the coated LT's.(something about uncoated headers on cold days throwing off the 02's) Most people said that the absence of cats and a more free-flowing exhaust will cause you to smell more gas at the tailpipe. But, the car is not running any richer than it was before, if your sims are working correctly. Factory cats require some unurnt fuel to work properly. If you still want to pay for a tune you might a few extra hp, but I'm saving my tuning $$ for when I get a h/c done. Just my thoughts. I'm sure someone
will tell you or me different.