Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a cooling system pressure test show if you have a vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does a cooling system pressure test show if you have a vacuum leak?

Im trying to check if i have any vacuum leaks in my car's engine. I tried the carb cleaner method where you spray vacuum lines and suspected leak places in the engine but i want to try a more accurate way...or rather a different method.
I've been hearing about a "cooling system pressure tester" but im not sure if that's just for detecting leaks in the radiator or the entire engine. So, does a "cooling system pressure test" work for finding "vacuum leaks"...and perhaps also a blown head gasket?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
Im trying to check if i have any vacuum leaks in my car's engine. I tried the carb cleaner method where you spray vacuum lines and suspected leak places in the engine but i want to try a more accurate way...or rather a different method.
I've been hearing about a "cooling system pressure tester" but im not sure if that's just for detecting leaks in the radiator or the entire engine. So, does a "cooling system pressure test" work for finding "vacuum leaks"...and perhaps also a blown head gasket?
Yes you can find a blown head gasket with a pressure tester.
No it will not help you with a vacuum leak.
As far as other methods you can use a Evap smoke machine or propane and a scan tool.

Quick Reply: Does a cooling system pressure test show if you have a vacuum leak?