Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Ls powered '87 GN-Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Ls powered '87 GN-Project

Time for a new project... I'm gonna' be putting my Ls/t56 swap '81 Camaro on hold for a while. Instead, I'm going to start on this '87 GN my Gpa and I have.

It doesn't look like much, but will with time. Gpa will be stealing the 3.8 and 200-4R to put into his custom '33 Buick pickup which leaves me everything else. There are more parts than what is shown in the above picture, but it does need a few things.
I've been wanting a GN for a long time and recently considered selling my beloved GTO...

...in order to get one. I quickly came to my senses and decided to postpone the Camaro and build this.

The plan is for a budget turbo build using a single On3 Performance turbo, turbo cam, e85 with meth, and mated to a 4L60 with a 3600-4000 stall that can hopefully get me into the 10's.
I've already got both a mostly complete 5.3 (sold the heads when I got some 243's for the other project and sold them, too) and a mostly complete 6.0 (minus coils, fuel rails, and injectors). Between the 2, I've got a complete motor.
I'm hoping to achieve at least 600whp. What combination of parts will help me do this easily and efficiently?
If I use the 5.3, I'll likely upgrade the truck intake manifold with an Ls6, Fast92, or Victor Jr. I forget which heads are on the 6.0 but they're not a 243 or 799.
If I use the 6.0, I'd give some serious thought to getting the Ls3 top end.

Anyways...I'm new to FI and looking for any input or suggestions people may have.
What will help me achieve my goal of 600whp or 10's?
Which parts do you recommend? Which do you not?

Thanks
Brandyn

Last edited by thehazz12; 09-23-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

...anybody?

Forgot to mention: I've already got the wiring harness and computer from PSI that I had made for my Camaro. It's got a tune on it for a 5.3 with an Ls6 intake and t56. Will this be able to work for the GN? IIRC, the autos had a separate computer (or at least I think the GTO autos do). Does this mean I will have to get a new harness made, or another? I guess it would be just as easy to use a different transmission... Again, looking for some input.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The harness would need to be modified with a few additional inputs/connectors. for the auto trans. Otherwise it should work fine. Your tune will need to be modified as well.

Look at the pinouts and figure out which port needs to be added with connector(s)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gnx7
The harness would need to be modified with a few additional inputs/connectors. for the auto trans. Otherwise it should work fine. Your tune will need to be modified as well.

Look at the pinouts and figure out which port needs to be added with connector(s)
I figured there would be some modification needed. I'll look at it and call up PSI and see what they can do.
I'll have DSteck come over and put the auto tune on. He'll have to come over and get a base tune on before it moves anyways. I'm not about to drive an untuned turbo car anywhere.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost traded me didn't ya .

Zack
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZNix
Almost traded me didn't ya .

Zack
I sure did! Glad we agreed not to do that, now. This way I get to have both, and I can still do the Camaro later. There's no sense in getting rid of something that I only have just north of $500 invested into.
Also, I texted you the other day with a few questions. Did you not get the message?

Last edited by thehazz12; 09-30-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Plans changed slighty. I'll be picking up a 4L80 sometime soon. Just gotta' drive a little ways to get it from the guy who's holding it. So worth it when since I'm only paying $250 even though I'm not getting the harness/computer, torque converter, or dipstick.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

that looks like its in good shape, I did one back in the day if you need help. Got anymore pics??
Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Love it!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Grr
that looks like its in good shape, I did one back in the day if you need help. Got anymore pics??
It's actually in great shape with the exception of the frame where it got hit. It bent a bit right there in the weak spot where it makes that weird almost 90* bend near the front passenger wheel. I think I've found another frame for it that's actually from another '87 GN. I should be getting a call this week from the guy. He gave the shell with frame attached to his buddy's scrap yard. We're both praying they haven't crushed it yet.
I'll take all the help I can get! Feel free to give my threads over on the TurboBuick forum a read...http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads.../#post-3086922 & http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads.../#post-3089072. I have some of my more GN specific questions listed in one of those threads. Some have been answered by now, but I'm always open to more help.
The only other picture I have at the moment is this...

The guy we got it from still has some of the pieces like the hood, fender, gas tank at his place. We couldn't fit it all in one load. I met with the guy today who is trying to get me a new frame and got the '87 GN grill, sway bar, the front passenger fender I needed, and some extra interior parts.
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the GNs. My dad has an 87 t-top car. Can't wait to see it peiced together.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6PntHo
I love the GNs. My dad has an 87 t-top car. Can't wait to see it peiced together.
Me, too! ALMOST enough to sell the GTO...almost. Don't hol your breath waiting for completion lol. I'm thinking it will be 2 yrs. I'd rather over-estimate than under-estimate so I don't feel rushed.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Picked up an '87 GN grill, right fender, sway bar, and some extra interior pieces the other day. Sadly, the guy I bought that stuff from had already sold the rear end and given the body with frame to his buddy's scrap yard. I bought the header panel to house the headlights from eBay so that's on the way, too. And I'm possibly picking up a 4L80 in the next couple weeks. A local, well-known builder has it so I'm await some specifications from him to give to PSI so we know what the course of action would be.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I picked up the rest of the parts from the guy's house finally so I've got pretty much everything to get the car back together now... (not everything in the following pictures will be used)

Here's the fender that was damaged when this car was in the collision...

Hence the black/red fender pictured above...
I wanted the GN 8.5" 10-bolt for this car both because it's one of GM's strongest rear ends ever made, and because I don't feel like dicking with making aftermarket suspension work without the stock rear. Unfortunately, the asking price for those is right at $1,000...if you can even find one! Well, this gem...

popped up on Craigslist for $750 and just happened to have the '87 GN rear in it. So I got it... I can't see any reason why I can't come out even on this deal after I sell the 22" wheels and scrap the body. I'll probably steal the fiberglass scoop off of it to mold onto my '81 Camaro. The engineers that tried to make those wheels fit that car did a wonderful job! (sarcasm) They hacked the frame to complete ****.
I'll be paying for the 4L80 sometime early next week and hope to have it fairly soon.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thehazz12
Me, too! ALMOST enough to sell the GTO...almost. Don't hol your breath waiting for completion lol. I'm thinking it will be 2 yrs. I'd rather over-estimate than under-estimate so I don't feel rushed.
Lol I feel ya man, I'm going to keep an eye out on this thread for updates.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Haven't updated in a while. Decided to spend a bit more money on the build than originally planned. I have some resources at my disposal for the next 2.5 yrs. so I'm going to take full advantage even though my wallet won't appreciate it. But my *** sure will!
Build plan is as follows (still succeptible to slight changes):

- 370ci Lq4
- Forged H-beam rods/ 4.030" pistons. with stock crank...I get a healthy discount ordering through my High Performance instructors at school so I'll be getting whatever brand they normally buy.
- Hand-ported 317's. Might have some further work done to bump compression a hair and fit a larger intake valve.
- Ls6 TPIS intake (modded to have a 90mm snout)
- hoping for a PT88 or something comparable.
- running e85 AND spraying meth.

My conservative goal is 700whp/tq. and that should be at relatively low boost. I plan to crank up the boost in the future and shoot for power in the 800's just for the hell of it.
The car will be built by myself, guys at school, and a buddy who's starting his own speed shop (Rush Garage) in the next 1 yr.-ish.
I'm planning on having this car on the road summer '14. Need to sell a couple more things to gather $ for the rest of the build.

If you have any input or questions, feel free to ask.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah buddy!!!

She's a big girl!
T6 88mm Garret GT47. I think this will work just fine! Wasn't planning on something quite so massive, but I can't complain.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Lookinggreat, should have enough turbo ... pending on your HP goals. You should be happy.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
Lookinggreat, should have enough turbo ... pending on your HP goals. You should be happy.
Thanks. That's the scary part. The HP goals are always changing. The latest goal is 1,300-ish wheel. I guess the determining factor will be the fuel. I'm still in the beginning stages of that, but it's looking like I'll go with the Magnafuel 4303 and FIC 2150's. Those should support my goals.

Last edited by thehazz12; 01-03-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GN, and build a few engines for friends. I got a friend with a 84GN, and he wants me to do a LS swap to his. Looks like your off to a great start!

Quick Reply: Turbo Ls powered '87 GN-Project