Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Spring Reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Spring Reccomendation

We are building a 49 Plymouth which we have put a 78 Trans-Am front subframe in. We have put an LS1 and a 4L60E transmission in. The front end is pretty light compared to the original setup and the upper control arms are bottoming out on the frame.

This happens even when we put 2 x 200 lbs. guys on there. Instead of guessing and trial and error we were looking for a recommendation or someone that might have done a similar conversion. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneCCAutomotive
We are building a 49 Plymouth which we have put a 78 Trans-Am front subframe in. We have put an LS1 and a 4L60E transmission in. The front end is pretty light compared to the original setup and the upper control arms are bottoming out on the frame.

This happens even when we put 2 x 200 lbs. guys on there. Instead of guessing and trial and error we were looking for a recommendation or someone that might have done a similar conversion. Thanks for your help.
I say go with spring rates 250lbs lighter...
also try http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...il_Springs.asp

you may have to call them, mine was not listed but they had them.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...s.asp?cat=7624
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could try cutting 1/2 to 1-1/2 off the springs, but it's clear you need a drop in spring rate, and lowering springs might help get the stance right but the ride would be horrible. IMO, I'd really consider a coilover setup with and adjustable lower spring seat, Strange, Afco, or QA1 should have what you need.
Any idea what the front weight is?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with global west lowering coil springs and tubular control arms in mine, and probably have a bit more of a weight drop (fiberglass, lexan, aluminum + LS1 replacing stock SBC). It rides fine, but could probably lose half a coil to be "dead-on" perfect. Your weight difference may negate the need for that. My car weighs in at around 2900. As mentioned before, adjustable coilovers might be the way to go. I wouldn't do them with stock lower control arms, though.

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Reccomendation