Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Exhaust question??

Ok, I know this fits in as kind of a newb question, so Ill ask it in here, if its not the proper sub forum feel free to move it.

I have a 98 Camaro (build thread in my sig), that is literaly bone stock down to the factory muffler. So needless to say, its super quiet and the muffler is starting to get rot holes in it.

After reading, and researching Ive decided that over the winter, I will be doing LTs and a ORY, but im still unsure of the catback that I want. Thats not my question tho.....

I did notice alot of guys do cut-outs on thier ls cars, and they seem to love them, even on stocker cars like mine. With there only being a month or so left of the racing season, and my factory muffler rotting, Im in a debate of just cutting it off, and installing a turn down for now. Either before the axle or after, not sure.

Wouldnt this be the same thing as running a cut-out on the car? Do u guys think Id pick up any power doing this? I know itll be loud, but its only temporary. I just dont want to hurt the cars performance or anything.

Anyone ran thier car like this? If so, where would u reccomend cutting it at? Like i said, the car is stock, down to the muffler and cats.

Any help is appreciated,
Dale
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just realized I posted this in Internal Engine. Please move this to where it needs to go.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for it, car should be fine, going to be a lot louder but with stock manifolds and cats i don't think it will be too bad though.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll pick up some power with the restrictive factory muffler gone. I'd cut it off after the I-pipe just a little way past the start of the bend, then just loosen and rotate the I-pipe until the exhaust is pointed slightly downward.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just beware that in really cold weather You run a small risk of warping valves after shutting her down hot . Oh I just saw that You have cats on there . With cats or anything that will slow down/block cold air from getting to the valves You'll be fine .

Last edited by chrisfrost; 09-25-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Just beware that in really cold weather You run a small risk of warping valves after shutting her down hot . Oh I just saw that You have cats on there . With cats or anything that will slow down/block cold air from getting to the valves You'll be fine .
Never heard that before, guess it good it doesn't get that cold in nc
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see a problem doing this. Anytime you can bypass a muffler as restrictive as the stock one you will definitely pick up power. Itll be loud, but as long as you are alright with that it should work fine.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Whut?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Whut, What, Wut Hut ? Yes if it were a fairly short pipe without any cats or mufflers in cold weather would almost always warp valves after hot shut down.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question??