Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Camaro on private Tracks in France

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro on private Tracks in France

Hi, as I carry on a project since a few years, I think I might tell you about it here, since it might not be a common project in the usa.

My aim is to bring a 2000 z28 on roadracing tracks, and to try to make it competitive with famous GT european GTs (as I live in France).

So since 4 years we have carried out some mods on my Z28, and saturday I had a test drive on a small local track. My friends and I were quite happy with the way my car behaved, appart the braking, and we wish to bring the car on major French tracks next year (Le Mans / Dijon)

Lets watch the videos if you are interested !!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/eric27t?feature=mhee
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely pulls and turns well from the looks of those too-short videos. Really seems to handle very flat under braking and cornering - not a small feat with a 4th gen camaro.

why such short vids? 4 years worth of building your car and you have 6 20 second videos to show for it?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
It definitely pulls and turns well from the looks of those too-short videos. Really seems to handle very flat under braking and cornering - not a small feat with a 4th gen camaro.

why such short vids? 4 years worth of building your car and you have 6 20 second videos to show for it?
Actually saturday I just had my iphone, and needed its GPS feature to get back home. I made a single longer video, inside the car, but then as the iphone battery was lowering, I just shot short ones afterwards.

As the car becomes interesting, I ll try to improve its weak points during winter and bring it on longer tracks next spring, I ll offer longer videos, I ll try to get a go pro by this time as well. Thanks to show interest

Regarding to the handle ability, we set the car with Strano lowering springs + koni sport shocks, it is a good combination. The car has also Strano's set of sway bars + some SFC. Our major improvement to brakes are the Cad CTS-V brake calibers + C6 ZO6 brake discs at the front. This offers huge braking, but currently the rear brakes are not well balanced and I have not a proper set of brake pads also at the rear (too hard ones). I want to improve this, and if I could get a set of 4 18" Corvette rims, I would also like to get some slick cornering tyres.
Our engine is a 402 Proline strocked ls2 with 215 trick flow heads and a lovely camshaft (Ron Mowen from Vengence Racing is our adviser and part supplier) in this engine section..... promising

This is the longer video :

Last edited by et27; 09-25-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that was just a track session and not a race, but looked to me like you could rap the engine higher by at least 500rpms before shifting. Fix them rear brakes pronto so you can trail brake into those corners properly.

Something else to think about would be to have your tune gone over by a road race tuner. Looks like you are using a normal street tune. Not sure on the actual differences in tunes but I suspect it's alot less initial or tip-in timing on the road course tune which effectively gives you alot softer hit at the crack of the throttle: exactly what a big torque setup like yours needs when trying to hold speed midcorner and enables you to roll onto the throttle MUCH sooner in the corner.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

I know that was just a track session and not a race, but looked to me like you could rap the engine higher by at least 500rpms before shifting.
Hi, you look just right about shifting : as it was the first track test on the engine, I did set the shiftlight à 5800, but I almost did not reach this limit as I intended to be carefull with the mecanics. Later on, we will bring the car on a dyno to optimize the tune, and this will enable to know where the power pic exactly is. We will then put the rpm limit just above that point, certainly somewhere between 6000 and 7000.

Something else to think about would be to have your tune gone over by a road race tuner. Looks like you are using a normal street tune. Not sure on the actual differences in tunes but I suspect it's alot less initial or tip-in timing on the road course tune which effectively gives you alot softer hit at the crack of the throttle: exactly what a big torque setup like yours needs when trying to hold speed midcorner and enables you to roll onto the throttle MUCH sooner in the corner.
The tune is made here in France by a friend who since a few years manages to get on with HPTuner. Your idea is good and I forward him in order to check what we can improve in the tuning to help on track.

Quick Reply: Camaro on private Tracks in France