Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, She's a Winner!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wow, She's a Winner!

So, I'm like that kid always bringing filthy flea bitten strays home. I find these cars and think I need to save them. Ugh. So, I find this 98 Z28 which hasn't been well loved. Got a lifter noise, auto, car I would not normally be interested in. But it looked so sad I brought it home.

So I get to tearing the top end out and I notice one of the pistons is different. I look at that jug and it seems as if at one time there was an issue there. Not bad, but I see it. Are you telling me they replaced one piston? Good god man. See that mark at the bottom? Not on any others, and not on any GM piston I've seen.

It wasn't dealer work based on the piston type and the headgasket. Wow. Then I see its got LS7 style lifters I bet you $5 they only replaced the one side. Everything so far confirms this. The bolts on the drivers side are all siezed up, other side came out fine. I'm will to bet I'm going to find stock lifters on this side of the motor lol. Unles of course this is what an LS1 looks like. I'm a LS2 guy, but from everything I know the LS1s used the open style lifters too. Jeeze, this is going to be fun.

The motor pulls really, really hard so I'm not sure I'm going to address the block and pistons just yet. Might just get it as right as I can and work the paint and body. I really have no idea what I'm going to do. I just snapped off the studs from the y pipe, really not wanting to get headers that cost twice what I paid for the car lol. Ah well. Why do I do this again?

Quick Reply: Wow, She's a Winner!