General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Q's on winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's on winter storage

Hi, this is my first winter with my trans am and would like some input on what procedures to take with storing it. I will be storing it in my barn wihich is sealed off from the elements but not heated and will be sitting on a cement pad with a heavy duty car cover on it. Now what does everybody do to them to insure they will start right up the next spring with no problems. I was thinking of filling it full of some non ethonal fuel, put some fuel stabilizer in it, fresh oil change and put a battery tender on the battery and starting it up and letting it get up to temperature every other week or so. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Teching In

sounds like a plan to me haha. only other thing i can think of would be to put car on jack stands to prevent flat spots on tires..

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The non ethanol gas is a bigger deal than most people think, I didn't even us Stabil in either of my cars last winter and they both ran just as good as the day I parked them. I just switched my battery tender from one car to the other every month. I wont even put ethanol in my lawn mower. Also I wouldn't worry about getting flat spots in your tires after just sitting over the winter, they'll round out after a few miles.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

looks like you have a good plan.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

- No need to start the car every week just to let it run. If you're not going to drive it, then just leave it dormant for the winter.

- Unless the oil needs to be changed anyway, I just wait until spring to change it.

- You could do the full-time battery tender, but instead I just hook up a smart charger every 6-8 weeks and let it trickle charge at 2 amps until it's complete (better than having wires running all over the garage all winter IMO)....this has served me well because my batteries always last many years without issues.

Other stuff I do....

- Stabil in the gas.

- Plastic/rubber under the car to block moisture from the ground as the temps change.

- Moisture dry/Damp Rid tubs in the interior of the car if the area isn't climate controlled.

- Don't put the car on jack stands unless you are properly loading the suspension. Better yet, either store the car on junk tires or simply fill your normal tires to max recommended PSI (this is what I do every year, and I've never had any permanent flat spotting problems doing so).

This is the stuff I've been doing to store cars each winter for the last ~15 years or so. Always works great, whether the car is new(er) or old.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

RPM is 100% correct. I have been storing my car in winter for the past 4 years. I do exactly what he does except I do use a battery tender full time. NEVER had any issues. OP sounds like you have a pretty good plan.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by ontariokid95
Hi, this is my first winter with my trans am and would like some input on what procedures to take with storing it. I will be storing it in my barn wihich is sealed off from the elements but not heated and will be sitting on a cement pad with a heavy duty car cover on it. Now what does everybody do to them to insure they will start right up the next spring with no problems. I was thinking of filling it full of some non ethonal fuel, put some fuel stabilizer in it, fresh oil change and put a battery tender on the battery and starting it up and letting it get up to temperature every other week or so. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Let it migrate south to me during the winter and I'll take it test and tune on Sunday and let it fly back to you in the spring.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

A somewhat cheap remedy for the cement floor is some inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpeting. Not only is it a partial barrier to the cold and moisture but it helps ease the flat spot issues. I paid about $120 for a section of this type carpeting at Lowe's. It was the size of a full one car garage and you might even be able to get a smaller size for less than that.
No ethanol gas and Sta-bil are the way to go for the fuel system. If the temps are going to get real cold use a bottle of HEET which will also help to prevent freezing. It is only about $2 at Walmart.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I would add that hasn't been mentioned is putting some moth ***** around and under the car, under the hood.

This will help keep critters from chewing up your wiring over the winter- especially if you are storing it in a barn.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
One thing I would add that hasn't been mentioned is putting some moth ***** around and under the car, under the hood.

This will help keep critters from chewing up your wiring over the winter- especially if you are storing it in a barn.
Excellent post! Completely forgot about mice, etc...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I have never used stabil when i store it but always have started it every so often and never has problems storing the last 5 years but thinking about using it this time i guess its because i dont know anything about the stabil.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

i put a can of seafoam in the full gas tank, air up the tires, and run mine every couple weeks to operating temp. worked for years. i also am always working on mine in the winter.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Pretty much like the others, good detail in and out, stabil in the gas, tires at max psi, and throw a cover on it. Never had battery chargers or tenders, but I start it atleast once a month. I like to let it charge the battery, get fluids moving and hear it run!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't change your oil before you park it, at least get it good and hot before your let it sit for good. That way any moisture or other nasty's get burned out before storage.

Also, another alternative to help with the flat spots, is to simply put a few pieces of cardboard stacked up under the tires. It doesn't take much to have 2-3 layers sitting underneath the contact area and it has to help some (at least as much as carpet).
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used those 2'x2' interlocking square foam floor pads. I put 3 of them under each tire when i backed it in the garage.

Quick Reply: Q's on winter storage