Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Shifting?

So I want yo upgrade my shifting on my 1998 Trans Am is there a specific programmer I can get for it? I'm looking to be getting stage 3 shifts. I have tried manually shifting with my tranny also at WOT but it won't shift, thanks you guys for your help!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You have a 14 year old transmission, which is really pushing the limit on these in a performance application. Programming firmer shifts will probably break it.
The better way is to install something like the Transgo HD2 shift kit or their Shift Improver kit; however installing a shift kit on such an old trans (assuming it has never been rebuilt) does not sound like the right priority to me.
Just my opinion. Lets see what others say...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Well I bought the car last month and they said they replaced with a brand new tranny from gm.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does it do when you manually shift it? Does it just bang the rev limiter at 6k? Does it shift fine at WOT if you let the computer do the work? Its really not beneficial to manually shift, back before electronic transmissions it was but now that the tranny is controlled by the pcm you simply cant shift as precise as the computer so just let it do the work if it is shifting correctly with it. Now you cant buy a tuner for the transmission, you would need to get it tuned by either a local tuner or mail order tune. All that will do is firm up your shifts a bit and maybe change the shift points around a little bit to better make use of your powerband....
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Teching In

When I manually shift it would hit the rev limiter after I would go to first to second but on drive it shifts fine and shifts at 6 grand.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

keep in mind that even when you manually shift the transmission it is electronic so there is a small delay. so you maybe shifting it to late which causes it to smack the limiter. next time try shifting it when the rpms are around 5200-5300 and I bet if shift right around 5700 mine did the same thing. But please just let the pcm do the shifting when your on it, its much better than any human could be unlike old school autos. if the pcm shifts fine at 6k theres nothing wrong with the tranny

Quick Reply: 4L60E Shifting?