Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappearing 4th Gear or OD

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disappearing 4th Gear or OD

While taking my car home from a 400+ mile trip from where I bought it - I'm cruising on the freeway at 70mph, foot in the same position for a long time, when I decide to accelerate a little, whether it's a hill or a traffic situation I have to pass, I ease into the accelerator and it's like in neutral. I am free reving. So I manually put it into third to make sure the tranny isn't broken, it engages in third, so I put it back in drive and it's fine again. This happened 7 more times during my trip. I did not use cruise control if it matters. What do you think?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/4l60...od-155804.html
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I suspect you are not actually free-reving, but in 3rd gear as you try to accelerate - if you increased your revs enough to reach the equivalent 3rd gear RPM at that speed, you would feel it engage again.
I'm guessing here, but this sounds like a major leak in the servo area.
I know it can be difficult to remove the servo in many cars (due to tight quarters), but with luck replacing the seals in the servo might be all you need.

A mechanic could check this by dropping the pan and applying air pressure to the 4th gear test hole in the case; it should not leak and should apply the band firmly.

Hopefully someone with experience with this symptom will confirm or correct me...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

you have a stall converter or stock?

if you have a higher stall and the TCC is slipping it feels the same. this is exactly what my car was doing, but i have a converter.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe the trans is stock. Not sure how I find out, if it isn't. It's been lightly modded and dyno tuned by the previous owner, I bought it from a dealer. I have driven it to work and back 2 days in a row (30 minutes each way) and it did not slip. Strange.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dealership said they could not get the transmission to act the way I described and there were no transmission codes. He believes it was getting too hot and that was the reason for the TC lock/unlock failure. The other reason it is at the dealer is the coolant kept rising higher on long trips, he found the water pump to be going out and leaking. So hot radiator equals hot tranny equals my problem....I hope anyways.

Quick Reply: Disappearing 4th Gear or OD