Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen F-body LS1 Brakes to early GM Cars ?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 4th Gen F-body LS1 Brakes to early GM Cars ?

Got of few need to know FAQ type of questions...:

I just starting to look into doing my brake lines now and what to make sure what is metric and what needs to be adapted to SAE/Metric.

What are you guys doing for Brake lines for swapping in the Late 4th Gen F-body LS1 Brakes to 1st Gen F-Body, 64-72 A-Body or 68-72 X-body (and others).. ?

I am working with my 71 Nova with a comlete new RightStuff SS Hard lines. Now I need to do the Flex lines next.. I figured this might be good info for other swapping in the LS1 Brakes.....

I know the LS1 OEM Front lines are just about the correct length, so I mjght be able to get a off the shelf Russell SS Braide kit for the front if they are both the correct Inverted Flare fittings, hose and tubes. I know I will need longer lines for my rear..

- Are any of you having OEM Type Rubber lines made up or using SS Braided lines ? (I'm thinking of going Russell SS Braide PTFE lines hose).

- How much of the LS1 Brakes is metric vs SAE. (Question is for the Banjo/lines only, not the mounting hardware)

- Caliper Banjo fitting? 10mm or 3/8"

- The OEM Line from the Caliper, where they connect onto the hard lines.. are they Metric or SAE fittings? can they just screw on the the Early GM hard lines, that being the Standard SAE Inverted Flare on the tube and fittings ?

- AN -3 on four corners or -3 for the front and -4 for the rear ?

Hope I am asking the right question and that they are clear to understand... any help or info would be good..

thanks

BC
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used adapters to go from my SAE flare hardlines to stock metric Camaro brake hose
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put C5 Vette brakes on my Chevelle, ordered brake hoses from Kore 3. Nice stainless hoses, set up for metric banjo bolt on one end and stock 3/16 double flare on the other. Highly recommend.
HTH, Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After taking a closer look at the fittings..... it seem that the LS1 brake lines are using the metric or Bubble flare as compared to a Inverted Flare (IF).

Here is a shot of the fitting on the end of the hose from the Caliper.. (Banjo on the other end). It looks like a Bubble Flare.. are GM Metric and Bubble flares the same ?
If you look close, you can see that it is not inverted but concave to accept the Bubble/GM Flare.

Here is a picture of a Inverted Flare (female)

Here is a shot in comparing the Inverted Flare (Middle)vs the Bubble or GM Metric Flares (left and right lines)....
Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they do use bubble flares. You can see the adapter in this pic, from SAE inverted flare to metric bubble flare

Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have the donar car use the 4th gen lines. I used the booster and master also. I then used a 3rd gen divider for a 4 wheel disc car which is metric. The lines from the master to the divider came off the 3rd gen and bolted on. From there the 4th gen lines were used in front directly from the divider. An adapter was used for the original rear line at the divider. The 4th gen lines were used on the rear axle in the back. The lines were cut and reflared at the 'T'. This kept the bubble lines intact and I only had to reflare 2 times.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would one of these work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aa...0121/overview/
or
This one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aa...0120/overview/

Thanks for your help guys
David
Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Your links aren't working , at least for me, but if you're looking for bubble flare to standard double flare adapters, my local NAPA has them in stock. I can get a part number this evening.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 454ragtop
When I put C5 Vette brakes on my Chevelle, ordered brake hoses from Kore 3. Nice stainless hoses, set up for metric banjo bolt on one end and stock 3/16 double flare on the other. Highly recommend.
HTH, Jim
I use the same brake line from Kore3 as well. Tobin can make custom lengths too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4th Gen F-body LS1 Brakes to early GM Cars ?