LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Brand new to the LS4 World

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new to the LS4 World

Just got a new LS4 powered car last weekend, after looking, for around six weeks! I got a 2006 white GXP. Bone stock w 56K miles. I'm thinking about some small mods. I would like to add an aux in as easy and reasonable as possible. I have the 6 Disc Monsoon system with XM. I would also like to get the windows tinted. Performance parts I'm considering are the DIY shift kit, possibly a catless down pipe, a catback or muffler swap and or electric cutout, and some sort of PCM/tune.

I would like to hear everyone's suggestions. I'd like to keep the car very reliable and streetable while improving performance and mpg.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Just to be a broken record...SEARCH!

There's NUMEROUS threads on everything you're asking about.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an electric cut out and a front stb if you're interested.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

I'm fully aware of the search function and have used it. However, I guess I mistakenly thought I might get some helpful insight on several topics without having to post on, or start numerous threads. I have read several threads on exhaust, but haven't seen a lot on budget minded exhausts. Same with shift kits, I have read quite a bit on those, but haven't seen a large number of reviews on the DIY shift kit, from LS4 owners. Same goes for the aux in, I've seen threads on adapters, such as the PAL kit and so on, yet I haven't seen many reviews, or focus on how to do this on a budget. Example I've seen info on other car forums of how an aux in could be added for under $10.

It amazes me that 75 or so people can read my posts and yet only one responds, simply telling me to search. I see this same sort of response on a large number of the threads/posts people start here. I don't get why people had rather respond with that besides something that is actually helpful. If I didn't respect and appreciate the knowledge people have here, I would have never joined. But to me most of the posters here just seem to be annoyed by anyone new, or anyone who just wants to generate some discussion.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Mike disregard my last post, as your response is actually worthwhile and useful. Look for a pm from me.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

depends on how far you want to go as in performance. Your first mods should be transmission cooler and shift kit. I have the intense shift kit love it and it's relatively cheap. If you go with an exhaust as there are many options and vids on youtube, IMO i don't think a cutout would give you more gains unless you used with a stock exhaust. I have quite a few mods but intake, exhaust & tune should give you a decent boost. Suspension is also just as important as motor upgrades. Look into lowering springs and poly/shortened dogbones, which I also have. Not many ppl will respond to your post because this question has been asked many times. You can literally google "ls4 mods" & read forever. I knew more about my car before I even found it at the dealership to make sure I made a decent buy. Also check gmls4.com
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WantanLS4
I'm fully aware of the search function and have used it. However, I guess I mistakenly thought I might get some helpful insight on several topics without having to post on, or start numerous threads. I have read several threads on exhaust, but haven't seen a lot on budget minded exhausts. Same with shift kits, I have read quite a bit on those, but haven't seen a large number of reviews on the DIY shift kit, from LS4 owners. Same goes for the aux in, I've seen threads on adapters, such as the PAL kit and so on, yet I haven't seen many reviews, or focus on how to do this on a budget. Example I've seen info on other car forums of how an aux in could be added for under $10.

It amazes me that 75 or so people can read my posts and yet only one responds, simply telling me to search. I see this same sort of response on a large number of the threads/posts people start here. I don't get why people had rather respond with that besides something that is actually helpful. If I didn't respect and appreciate the knowledge people have here, I would have never joined. But to me most of the posters here just seem to be annoyed by anyone new, or anyone who just wants to generate some discussion.
If you know how to search then why not do so? It gets annoying when people ask the SAME questions over and over and over and over when all info is already here and alot can be found within the first couple of pages(without searching). It shows the laziness of new comers.

Spoon-fed for your satisfaction.

Here's your cutout info
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...d-finally.html

Shift kit info is available in the Sticky section

Headers:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...ming-soon.html

You should wait for these headers to come out BEFORE worrying about buying a down pipe as the DP might not work and will be a waste of money. You'll get more from headers than you will a DP.

Muffler options:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...er-delete.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...-mufflers.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...t-project.html

There's more muff options but you can search youtube for alot of soundclips.

Tint is your own personal preference and also depends how local PD reacts to tint laws.

Find a local tuner that can tune your car.

Those threads took about 7min to find while watching Tv.

FYI- "Here comes the Boom" looks like a funny movie.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aaron Arceneaux
depends on how far you want to go as in performance. Your first mods should be transmission cooler and shift kit. I have the intense shift kit love it and it's relatively cheap. If you go with an exhaust as there are many options and vids on youtube, IMO i don't think a cutout would give you more gains unless you used with a stock exhaust. I have quite a few mods but intake, exhaust & tune should give you a decent boost. Suspension is also just as important as motor upgrades. Look into lowering springs and poly/shortened dogbones, which I also have. Not many ppl will respond to your post because this question has been asked many times. You can literally google "ls4 mods" & read forever. I knew more about my car before I even found it at the dealership to make sure I made a decent buy. Also check gmls4.com
You cheated though. You bought an almost full bolt on LS4!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
You cheated though. You bought an almost full bolt on LS4!
Haters gonna hate lol
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

@Impss-I have read most of that info before. I didn't see any response to whether or not it's possible to add an aux in on the cheap.

Secondly the shift kit sticky makes little mention of the DIY/Home Depot shift kit. I have read about this option on other forums, which involves using mcmaster spacers or hardware store spacers. Like I said I have read about it there, but didn't see many if any LS4 owners reviewing it. Mostly I saw v6 guys going this option.

@aaron - why would a cut out not be useful on a stock exhaust?

I'm not interested in suspension mods. The car handles fine to me and I'm not interested in trying to improve those abilities.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't see any response to whether or not it's possible to add an aux in on the cheap.

Secondly the shift kit sticky makes little mention of the DIY/Home Depot shift kit. I have read about this option on other forums, which involves using mcmaster spacers or hardware store spacers. Like I said I have read about it there, but didn't see many if any LS4 owners reviewing it. Mostly I saw v6 guys going this option.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...ipod-jack.html
I think I have the ZZP shift kit on a shelf I'd sell on the cheap?
Oh and congrats on the purchase, and welcome to LS4 tech.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

@aaron - why would a cut out not be useful on a stock exhaust?

I'm not interested in suspension mods. The car handles fine to me and I'm not interested in trying to improve those abilities.
That's my mistake in typing too fast what I meant is that a cut out is more useful (more gains) on stock exhaust rather than a modified one.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Launching!

1, Stop getting all butt hurt

2, that being said, my best advice would be to get a cooler installed for your tranny first. Mine is failing right now at 63,000 and I feel that may have prevented it

Quick Reply: Brand new to the LS4 World