Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans temp problem...help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp problem...help?

What's up guys I have a question about my trans temp...today I jumped on the freeway at 91 degree weather in so cal and I had my a/c on and I notice my trans temp was at 186 and climbing and as I drove more it got higher, so I drove for about 20 minutes on the freeway an my temp went all the way to 215! Is that a problem for a stock trans in a 02 ws6 a4 with the stock converter? It feels pretty solid! The shifts are good...the only problem I have sometimes is when I put it into reverse it kinda shakes and it sounds like something is grinding as I'm reversing...I'm just trying to see why my temp went so high because I'm about to take my car to a shop to get my yank ss3600 installed along with a flex a lite cooler next week??? Thanks in advanced
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Launching!

C'mon fellas I got 40+ views an nobody has any help for a fellow ls1 guy, I'm desperate for some info here!!! Lol I've looked around and I've seen nothing but 170-190 tops around the forum...should I be worried???
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

I dono, seems strange that the temp went up at hiway speed, is this temp increase some thing that just started or has it normal for your car to increase ? my trans temp goes down as speed goes up, at slow cruise ( 10-20 mph) my timp will get 220 - 230 , which I do not like any above 200-210 by as stated will cool down to 200-210 at hiway speed , I run Yank SS 4000, one fin plate cooler with fan, one plate & tube with fan both mounted " Dope set up " , OE cooler/ or by pass OE cooler, temp runs about same
Johnny
Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Where are you reading the temp from?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

^^^^
sure you are asking the OP- good question," I " am reading from bung in side of deep pan (3 extra quarts )
Johnny
Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I never monitored my trans temp when it didnt have an aftermarket cooler so I cant say how close to normal that is. I can make an educated guess and say it is probably normal in 91f weather AND the ac being on. I dont have the book in front of me but I believe the normal/stock temp range is 190-200. Hows your temps with the ac off? Im willing to bet the temp is up there because of the ac.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Stock trans will run 180-200 degrees in 90+ weather. Simple as that. I don't believe damage starts occurring until the 250 range so you're good. Of course, cooler is better.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Launching!

That's the problem I was having...not a lot of people monitored there temps before the stall

And I'm reading the trans temp off my obd2 with my aeroforce interceptor

Thanks for the stress relieving answers fellas,howeve I am gonna be installing a ss3600 next week and a flex a lite cooler I purchased as well as draining oh my tranny fluid and refilling It (at 30k miles on the odometer) just to make sure it's not missing any..I just wanna play it as safe as possible, so I think I should be ok for now..I don't do much stop and go driving because I work literally like 5 minutes away from home...please let Kronos if any of u guys think that the flex a lite cooler isn't gonna get the job done, I forgot the part number on it...it's the one you were running before senicalj !
Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Keep in mind that the trans is "firmly" attached to the engine and heat in the block will transfer to the trans. In other words, it is not just internal friction which is heating the trans oil, but also heat from the engine.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS SIK6
That's the problem I was having...not a lot of people monitored there temps before the stall

And I'm reading the trans temp off my obd2 with my aeroforce interceptor

Thanks for the stress relieving answers fellas,howeve I am gonna be installing a ss3600 next week and a flex a lite cooler I purchased as well as draining oh my tranny fluid and refilling It (at 30k miles on the odometer) just to make sure it's not missing any..I just wanna play it as safe as possible, so I think I should be ok for now..I don't do much stop and go driving because I work literally like 5 minutes away from home...please let Kronos if any of u guys think that the flex a lite cooler isn't gonna get the job done, I forgot the part number on it...it's the one you were running before senicalj !
I did monitor my trans temp before the stall but it was with aftermarket cooler not inline with stocker. Temps were usualy 190 at most in summer.
I never really used the ac so cant tell you what effect that would of had but I can tell you that it cant help.

I use the same gauge as you do. Expect trans temps to read a little higher (iv heard 10f higher) than what everyone else reads on a aftermarket sensor.

I actually have that cooler for sale right now. It worked great but after my build the car created more heat. So, thinking a new cooler would solve the problem I bought a b+m. The flex a lite turned out to NOT be the problem. The problem was the builder put the cooler lower on my radiator than how I had it when I dropped off the car. I could still use it but why take my b+m off ya know? PM me if your interested.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Ok sounds good senicalj, I crisply already have the cooler sitting in my room I just wanted to make sure that it was gonna be good for the stall...I'm gonna take my car to my buddy at camaro king LA to do the installation of the stall and cooler and I'm thinking of draining ou all the trans fluid and changing the trans fluid filter since he's already gonna be down there....which fluid and filter should I go with? And my installer also mentioned I should maybe change the rear main seal??? Is that necessary or not? The car has 30k miles on it
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Yea drain all of it that you can. I actualy took my whole trans and stood it up on its tail to get all the fluid I could. It ended up taking 9-10qrt. I got the expensive dex6 from gm. Dex 3 is fine. Even the cheap stuff at autozone I think is fine. Just ask for the filter kit. It comes with filter and gasket. My pan alone takes 4.5qrt.

Quick Reply: Trans temp problem...help?