Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

In need of advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default In need of advise

On my way to work tonight my car did something it's never done. I was on a curve that the speed limit is around 45mph and on that curve there was a little bump in the middle of that curve. Well when my car hit the curve at around 55mph my car went over the bump but got really loose and shifted almost like if I were power sliding for a second. What could cause this to happen? Bushings, shocks,or springs?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's kind of the nature of live axle cars. They don't handle mid corner bumps too well. You can check your tires, make sure they're not worn down, dried out, or have irregular wear (for example, polygon shape instead of round means bad shocks). Suspension could be to blame, but it's hard to say with such a common experience. It could simply have been what was on the road if there was gravel or something slippery like oil or water.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eb110americana
That's kind of the nature of live axle cars. They don't handle mid corner bumps too well. You can check your tires, make sure they're not worn down, dried out, or have irregular wear (for example, polygon shape instead of round means bad shocks). Suspension could be to blame, but it's hard to say with such a common experience. It could simply have been what was on the road if there was gravel or something slippery like oil or water.
I will update in the morning when I leave. It was just scary as hell.

Quick Reply: In need of advise