General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO with salvage title question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO with salvage title question

This is my dilemma. I bought this 2006 GTO wreck with salvage title for $8500 plus shipping. I was going to install the the LS2 , trans and assorted items including using the seats into my 64 chevelle. The GTO is really nice, 31k miles and clean interior. The engine sounds like it has a cam, headers and someone had run nitrous at some time but this was removed before I got it. The damage doesn't seem to be very bad. I think with to body straightened and a few odd parts it could be saved for maybe 3k. Part of me wants to save this car but I really don't need another car. Now I don't want to cut it up! The salvage title is what really bothers me the most. Resale will take a hit no matter how good the repair is.

Any opinions would be welcomed.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

if it doesnt look that bad and you like the car i would fix it and keep it. you can always find a cheaper 5.3 or something for the chevelle. post up some pics of the goat so we can see how bad it is.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

^ this!!!!!!!!

save the goat! you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. then you can sell it to me when your done!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

To me 8,500 seems like alot of money on a car just to get the motor and seats out it.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for replies. 8500 was a little on the high side but being my first conversion project I wanted to make sure I had every single item I needed to complete the project without any more expense than necessary. I'll still have to add after market items but I wanted to be sure to get what I needed from the donor car.

I'll try to post up some photos. The car is stored at another location at this time. The only external damage is to the drivers side front fender wrinkled from the door pushing into it. It appears someone removed the inner strut brace and then drove it off of an embankment. The inner strut tower is pushed in towards the engine. Not much else really. But you don't know until you get into it of course. AND I keep telling myself it was totalled for a reason.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

id take it to a reputable body shop and have the frame or unibody checked. If its a little money on the frame stretcher, you might be able to fix the rest your self.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Pics?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I would stick to your original intentions if you don't need another car. Throwing thousands into a bad title car is not wise unless you want it for yourself for years to come.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Teching In

I'm loading it up on Tuesday to take to a body shop with a good reputation for a realistic idea of damage and repair. I'll get some photos then.

At this time I really have to agree with NCO1TA. If the thing had been damaged more cosmetically I probably wouldn't even be having the thought of repairing it.

I really don't need another toy. I've got three other cars that are part of the family that I can't part with. If I repair this GTO it has to be sold. Then I'd be on the search for another anyway.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

*****. get and estimate and trade me for my camaro. built lq9, but it has an auto.. sooo a step backwards eh?

one day maybe i'll have another gto
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Get what you need off the goat and sell the rest.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take what you need out of it, sell off the rest and scrap the leftovers.
at least around me, getting a car back to rebuilt status is PITA, remember it was totalled for a reason.
also, if you rebuild it you'll be lucky to sell it for next to nothing because the salvage/ rebuilt title follows the car. Been around this stuff my whole life, it has advantages if you dont care but realize what you getting in to before taking a beating on the car.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subarubill96
take what you need out of it, sell off the rest and scrap the leftovers.
at least around me, getting a car back to rebuilt status is PITA, remember it was totalled for a reason.
also, if you rebuild it you'll be lucky to sell it for next to nothing because the salvage/ rebuilt title follows the car. Been around this stuff my whole life, it has advantages if you dont care but realize what you getting in to before taking a beating on the car.
Totaled doesn't always mean it's beyond repair. The owner could have only had liability on it, and couldn't afford to fix it.

I agree the salvage title will hurt it in the long run, but he could very well turn a profit being low miles and clean. Esp if he can do a lot of the work himself.

My car was totaled by the insurance company, with an estimated repair price of 6500. I took the check for 8500 and kept the car, fixed it for 1300 minus paint.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
Totaled doesn't always mean it's beyond repair. The owner could have only had liability on it, and couldn't afford to fix it.

I agree the salvage title will hurt it in the long run, but he could very well turn a profit being low miles and clean. Esp if he can do a lot of the work himself.

My car was totaled by the insurance company, with an estimated repair price of 6500. I took the check for 8500 and kept the car, fixed it for 1300 minus paint.
Liability means your insurance pays someone elses.... Why the hell would they total and CLAIM your car if they didnt pay anything for it....

Salvage usually means tbe cost for repairs was more then 50% of the value of the car.. They wanted to total my camaro, but not including paint it only cost me 1k on my own.

To OP, you paid way too much already. For another 3k into it... Well heck lets just say ive seen high mileage gto's sell for what your salvaged one did... Thats insane... Good luck though and can wait to see what you decide
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baalic
Liability means your insurance pays someone elses.... Why the hell would they total and CLAIM your car if they didnt pay anything for it....

Salvage usually means tbe cost for repairs was more then 50% of the value of the car.. They wanted to total my camaro, but not including paint it only cost me 1k on my own.

To OP, you paid way too much already. For another 3k into it... Well heck lets just say ive seen high mileage gto's sell for what your salvaged one did... Thats insane... Good luck though and can wait to see what you decide
Not entirely true. I'm sure it varies. My insurance company will sometimes buy your car if you bang it up too bad and only have liability. They will just send it to a salvage auction. Of course you will get considerably less from them than if you had full coverage but in the end they are making money.

Guess it depends on how you rub them.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Teching In

After lenghty discusion with professionals I've come to the conclusion that it might be better to just part it out like the origional plan. The large things could be over come but the devil is in the details.

This car is very clean at a glance but it has had a hard life in such few miles. To truely detail this car and try to make a buck would be mission impossible. If I were to keep it and drive for some years would be one thing but to get my labor back on a resale is a different thing. The salvage title is the other issue as well.

I took some photos but I really don't know how to post them. From the photos it looks like any other silver grey GTO except for a wrinkle on the driver side front fender. It's even hard to tell the wheel is kicked in a bit from the photo.

I knew all this before purchase so no suprises. I feel I got what I paid for. No steal but I got what I need to for the conversion.

Small blocks and big blocks is all I know. The only way I can learn is to jump in feet first and make a few mistakes along the way. I'm hoping this forum will help keep the mistakes to a minimum though. I've been lurking here for some time but I find there is no substitute for getting my hands dirty and turning some wrenches.

Thanks again for the suggestions, opinions and help.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your making the right decision.I was in the same boat with my current project for alittle while.
I bought a 04 wrx that was salvaged for dirt cheap and i could of rebuilt for about a grand but i wanted to swap my legacy and having the rebuilt title meant i was going to take a hit if i sold it so i chopped it up but not after making a decent amount back selling parts off it i didnt need. good luck with your project, should be a great ride when your done.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

host photos on photobucket.com

copy the html code and paste here... simple
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Well, I got the photos into photobucket but I can't get the photo on this page. All I get is the html code in print. No photo.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 66 Cruiser
Well, I got the photos into photobucket but I can't get the photo on this page. All I get is the html code in print. No photo.
when your viewing your picture on photobucket, you will see tags below or beside your picture. copy and paste the one with "[IMG]" HTML tags before and after the link.

Quick Reply: GTO with salvage title question