General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How many miles is too many miles..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles is too many miles..

I have around 120000 miles on my car 02 im the only owner bought it new.. I hydro locked the engin around 30 so i have roughly 90k on the engine the 120k is all car and tranny the only mods I did to this car was underdrive pulley the throttle body bypass intake of course hooker lts and and full hooker y to aerochamber system and that pretty much sums it up I have a ls7 clutch in it with a tick performance adjustable master..

Other then those mods the car is just stock as hell..

My question is when is it time to say ok its too many miles to put heads and a cam in it or do you just go with it and buy a set..

I have buddies that put heads and cams in and kseep the 10 bolt and well they have other cars to drive around and they did it when they bought the car soo im concerned about breaking things.. Im getting quite bored with the car now and need something to spark it back up a bit..

newer cars come out with more hp now which is too be expected but this baby is paied for..

is 120k too much to start going internal???

or would buying a beather before doing this a better idea
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

sorry about spelling late night with meds kicking in
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

I started my mods with 116k miles on it. Now I've got 130k and it's running strong. As long as you start replacing parts, upgrading, and still have good compression, it's good to mod.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

As far as I'm concerned, when you swap cam and heads, you're replacing a lot of parts in the motor. You might as well rebuild it all the way and do the mods at the same time.

On the 10 bolt. If you don't track it, you might get by without upgrading. You might not. Definitely, if you're going to do hard starts or burnouts, upgrade.

To the question about the beater, yes you should have one. I generally think that whenever you're doing serious mods to a car, you should have another one that you know you can drive around for a while if you need to.

Are you sure adding the horsepower will cure your boredom with the car? It'd suck to start spending a lot of money on the car and then realize you're still bored with it for some reason other than the straight line speed. You probably won't recoup much, if any, of the money you spend on it for those mods when you go to sell.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

A friend of mine says modding a car is like fake **** for your wife, you'll enjoy the **** out of 'em as long as she's with you, and every guy who likes **** will want to be you, but you'll lose your *** financially if you ever leave her, and you'll always fantasize about her after she's gone and takes her **** with her.

Generally speaking, modding cars is generally just the same as taking your money, putting it in a pile, and burning it. You will get to enjoy the mods, but odds are, unless you're the salesman of the century, you will never ever get your money back. Now, if you reconcile yourself to the thought that you are now married to the car, you can mod it like you like and enjoy it while you keep it. But if you ever sell it, unless you've got stock parts laying about, you'll sell it in once piece and you will never get back what you put in it. Ever.

My best friend Curtis Vickers is the unofficial president of Fuelslut Musclecar Club. He drives a 96 cobra with over 200k on the odometer. The odometer stopped working at like 230k and he hasn't bothered to fix it. It is on it's third built motor and is the sleeperest cobra in town. It looks bone stock on the outside, stock rims, stock panels, hell, it doesn't even have a roll bar. But it's been through 3 iterations of supercharger setups and is now getting a turbo system.

Even with all the mods, and I mean, built rear, viper spec T-56, full suspension and k member, built forged 4.6 with ported race heads from a pro-car that wrecked at an SCCA event at Sebring, I mean everything that you could ever do to this car has been done, EVERYTHING! Even with all that, all those thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars spent on mods, I'm sure he couldn't get 8 grand for the car if he sold it. But he never will. Ever. He is married to that car like he's married to his wife. Even when it sat for over a year and a half broken and being built, he still talked about how much he loved it.

I am the exact same way. I've modded my car and now I'm known for it amongst my friends. When it was sitting for a year broken down and I was still making payments on a car I couldn't drive, I talked a big game about selling it but I knew that I wouldn't and I know now I never ever will. That car will be with me in some form or another until either it goes beyond repair or I do.

And if you still don't get it, watch a movie starring Eric Bana called "Love The Beast" and maybe then, you'll get it.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wornoutshoes
Generally speaking, modding cars is generally just the same as taking your money, putting it in a pile, and burning it. You will get to enjoy the mods, but odds are, unless you're the salesman of the century, you will never ever get your money back. Now, if you reconcile yourself to the thought that you are now married to the car, you can mod it like you like and enjoy it while you keep it. But if you ever sell it, unless you've got stock parts laying about, you'll sell it in once piece and you will never get back what you put in it. Ever.
I guess this depends on how you go about it. Everything depreciates over time. But the biggest hit is buying it new, then whether you have just mount it up for fitment and change your mind or run it for 10k miles, it's used. Go on the classifieds section on here and you can find alot of parts that are pretty much new yet someone else took the big hit on depreciation. After you run these parts, and decide you want to sell, you may not get what you paid back for them but your loss on the parts will be minimal as long as you took care of them.

TO THE OP: I bought my car with 100k on it and the thing looks like it has 10k on it. Was very well taken care of. But I started modding at like 105k and it's still running great but has a little tick noise I can't stand so I'm doing an engine swap to hold me over while I rebuild this one. I want to keep this engine because the numbers match the car and who knows if these things will go up in value in 20 years or not but the price to keep the original engine, even rebuilt, is minimal. Especially with what you said "this baby is paid for". What's better? Having a car payment or paying cash to rebuild and upgrade?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by lswon80
or would buying a beather before doing this a better idea
Yes. If this car is your only option for transportation, then I would not start a major build until after you have another daily driver. Some people are lucky, they heavily mod their daily driver and everything goes perfectly; no snags with the installs or tuning and nothing breaks for years. Then, for other people that are not so lucky, this is not the case.

Personally, having just one car is not a lifestyle that would work for me.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

To the OP- As stated above, as long as you have taken good care of your car, the miles don't mean as much as they would on, say, a traditional SBC. Mod away, just make sure you do supporting mods as well (oil pump, correct valvesprings, pushrods, lifters, etc.) and you should be good to go. If budget and time allows, go ahead and just rebuild your shortblock while you're in there, you will only gain by doing so. Either way, for sure get a beater DD, because you never know what may happen in the course of your build (acts of God, etc.)

Wornoutshoes- You hit the nail on the head with your post. Well said.

RPM WS6- I am also one of those guys that can't live without more than one car. My T/A is the one that's always going to be around, no matter what, I'll probably be buried with the thing lol. However, I have a slight case of vehicle ADD, I can't drive the same DD for years on end, so I just pick up a cheap DD and usually flip it to get something else every 6mo-1yr. I've been lucky enough to score some cool ones as well lol.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my fleet average is over 200k , everything has some to full bolt ons , my full bolt on m6 car has 233,000 currently , someday Ill do heads and cam when its fully broken in lol

my point miles is just a number the car I mentioned above is my highest miles fbody but is by far in the best condition/ most cared for I have and on the other hand you can find a 60k mile car thats full of scrapes & dings , doesnt get frequent fluid changes etc... just a manitenance party waiting to happen. If you mod it and something breaks you wont feel as bad as if it was a mint 30k car that you busted up.

go for it !!

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many miles..