General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Labor Rates

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labor Rates

I know that at a couple of speed shops here in town have a labor rate of about 70/hour and I was wanting to know how this compared to other shops and if it is worth the money to get a cam install on a 2000 Z/28 m6 done by a local shop or if I should just attempt this on my own. I do have a place to keep the car and work on it but I dont know how long it would take with the work schedule I am on right now. I have all the parts all I would need is that labor and the tune would be a seperate cost as well since I would not be able to do that myself and would possibly be at a later date. I guess what I am basically saying is how many hours should I expect to be charged for?

Thanks in advance
-Chris
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bengi09
I know that at a couple of speed shops here in town have a labor rate of about 70/hour and I was wanting to know how this compared to other shops and if it is worth the money to get a cam install on a 2000 Z/28 m6 done by a local shop or if I should just attempt this on my own. I do have a place to keep the car and work on it but I dont know how long it would take with the work schedule I am on right now. I have all the parts all I would need is that labor and the tune would be a seperate cost as well since I would not be able to do that myself and would possibly be at a later date. I guess what I am basically saying is how many hours should I expect to be charged for?

Thanks in advance
-Chris
70 an hour isnt a ton, I personally charge $65. I charge $400 flat rate for a cam swap, which is pretty cheap compared to most. Thats charging roughly 6 hr.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Shot I have felt with are 90 so I would deff go for the shop rate you are looking at. Personally I prefer to take it to F body shops even if they are 2 hours away.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Thats really not to bad I am just concerned on how long it would take me to do it myself and even though I definately do not have the knowledge or experience that someone in the field would have. (This would be my first cam swap) I am sure I could do it over a few weekends as tight as work is?

The shop that would be doing it isnt per say an f-body shop but they are very knowledgable and pretty big enthusiasts of the LS engines as that is what most of them are driving and working on when I go in the shop
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Honestly like I have said in a few threads, I would rather pay the little bit extra to get it done right and get it out of mind rather then rely on myself to get it perfect. But a Cam swap does seem doable with the right tools and such.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if theyre good id use them. as long as theyre familiar with these cars.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

70 an hour isn't bad at all, do your homework on them first.

Quick Reply: Labor Rates