Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Puppy kicked a fox...but not as bad as it could have been

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Puppy kicked a fox...but not as bad as it could have been

I tried to get some runs at the track but after my first pass showed a trap speed of 105mph I got worried (down from 112 in crap air), ran 2 more passes with a best of 106mph so I just went home to figure out the problem.

On the way home I was pissed and deep in thought about maybe another cam going flat on me etc when a blue hatchback 5.0 fox through me a rev. He kept pacing me and eventually I figured what the hell...if it's hurt it's hurt and it isn't like I wasn't just beating on it at the track.

We were rolling about 50mph and I gave him the hit, by the top of 2nd I was up about 4-5 cars. Figured he would go away but he came back again, this time just took off and I heard his auto downshift...car didn't really move much though he only got out about a car before I nailed it and blew by him again. Gave him a thumbs up and he went on his way.

BTW: diagnoses of the car was $40 worth of **** *** premium...car was maxing out spark retard and it was bad enough the PCM threw a code for low voltage on the bank 1 knock sensor

I filled up with Shell 91 and the car felt like I was spraying a 75 shot. Hadn't driven it in about 2 weeks or more so I thought it felt a little sluggish but thought it was just in my head.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing it wasn't anything serious.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

The car had no other symptoms other than being lazy. No audible noises, no cutting out or popping, etc. When I first turned on the road leaving the track it stumbled just a second but didn't do it again for the rest of the hour and 45 min drive.

Still not the smartest thing I know but after the way the night went I was deep in "**** it" mode.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Do you get gas at different gas stations, or just one gas station?

I try to get gas at just one gas station, maybe it's kind of superstitious on my part, but I've always gotten good gas from them.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what gas station was it. I used to feel cheap every now and again and get gas from racetrac by school. and it seemed like sometimes my car would feel sluggish and would even ping under wot. long story short chevron is right across the street and a few pennies more but i've never had those issues again car pulls hard with no ping to me ractrac gas is ****....
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Nice catch on the diagnosis....and good kill.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you have a stout setup to only be trappin 112.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Chevron for the win! Nice kill btw.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
Do you get gas at different gas stations, or just one gas station?

I try to get gas at just one gas station, maybe it's kind of superstitious on my part, but I've always gotten good gas from them.
Different stations usually unless I'm around home where I try to get no ethanol 91 from Shell (they are the only no E in town).

This was from a chain called Casey's Country Store. It wasn't even "cheaper" than other stations it was just on my way. I actually thought I had seen a Chevron sign on the sign but I was wrong. I will never get gas from them again, that's for sure.

I wish I had taken my laptop to the track...only took me a second of logging to see it pull 9.9* timing at half throttle from the low octane table to figure out the problem.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Looks like you have a stout setup to only be trappin 112.
I agree and I have been losing my mind trying to figure it out. I don't know the exact weight of the car but I know its got to be over 3700# with me in it. I also think I am short shifting the cam. I was shifting at 6500rpm on the pass where it did 112mph. I recently raised it another 100rpm and the MAF readings went up.

The car traps 92+mph in the 1/8th, just seems to lose some steam on the back half. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears...I was expecting 115mph or so from the combo even in our normal air (1800-2400ft DA).

The car does run hard though. For instance pulling on a 5.0 manual that regularly traps 112-113mph from a roll.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Different stations usually unless I'm around home where I try to get no ethanol 91 from Shell (they are the only no E in town).

This was from a chain called Casey's Country Store. It wasn't even "cheaper" than other stations it was just on my way. I actually thought I had seen a Chevron sign on the sign but I was wrong. I will never get gas from them again, that's for sure.

I wish I had taken my laptop to the track...only took me a second of logging to see it pull 9.9* timing at half throttle from the low octane table to figure out the problem.

I agree and I have been losing my mind trying to figure it out. I don't know the exact weight of the car but I know its got to be over 3700# with me in it. I also think I am short shifting the cam. I was shifting at 6500rpm on the pass where it did 112mph. I recently raised it another 100rpm and the MAF readings went up.

The car traps 92+mph in the 1/8th, just seems to lose some steam on the back half. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears...I was expecting 115mph or so from the combo even in our normal air (1800-2400ft DA).

The car does run hard though. For instance pulling on a 5.0 manual that regularly traps 112-113mph from a roll.
I dont know if heat or elevation is a factor where youre at, I am trapping the same as you in the 1/8th, 118 in the 1/4, weigh the same & everything you have motor wise should be making more than me & I am at 3720 race weight as well. Just sayin, something seems off, did you get it dynoed?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Nope. Just did street/track tuning. I actually just made some changes and that's why I was going to the track but the bad gas blew any results from that.

with the new heads/cam the car felt like a monster gain from where it was 230/224 cam only, but only gained 1 mph in the 1/4 (but went from 89mph to 92mph in the 1/8th first time out)

I seriously doubt I'm making anywhere near the power you are with those TFS heads. My heads aren't heavily worked, we really just knocked down the valve guide boss, the rocker boss, blended the seats, and I smoothed all the casting on the full runners. They are also shaved .010" but didn't port the exhaust side much at all, just smoothed it and took down the vg boss with sanding rolls.

Like I said I've always thought it should trap higher in the 1/4 too but after lots and lots of searching I've about given up trying to find it and wrote it off to bad aero and/or the car weighs more than I think. Need to hit the scales with it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Nope. Just did street/track tuning. I actually just made some changes and that's why I was going to the track but the bad gas blew any results from that.

with the new heads/cam the car felt like a monster gain from where it was 230/224 cam only, but only gained 1 mph in the 1/4 (but went from 89mph to 92mph in the 1/8th first time out)

I seriously doubt I'm making anywhere near the power you are with those TFS heads. My heads aren't heavily worked, we really just knocked down the valve guide boss, the rocker boss, blended the seats, and I smoothed all the casting on the full runners. They are also shaved .010" but didn't port the exhaust side much at all, just smoothed it and took down the vg boss with sanding rolls.

Like I said I've always thought it should trap higher in the 1/4 too but after lots and lots of searching I've about given up trying to find it and wrote it off to bad aero and/or the car weighs more than I think. Need to hit the scales with it.
It might weigh more & the fbodys are more aero, I am only making 400 whp.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
It might weigh more & the fbodys are more aero, I am only making 400 whp.
I am guessing that was on a stingy dyno.

I might be putting the car on during a dyno day later this month if I have the extra cash, mostly because I would like to see the power curve. It's a Land and Sea dyno so unlocked I bet I would be doing good to make 350rwhp and maybe 370 locked but that might be optimistic.

Quick Reply: Puppy kicked a fox...but not as bad as it could have been