General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vapor Lock Issue City Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapor Lock Issue City Driving

Hello people, I need some advice. I have a 97 Trans Am with the 6 speed. I'm have an issue where after long periods of stop and go traffic, the car starts to get vapor lock. After some quick trouble shooting, I know its happening due to how hot the engine runs. I know these motors are designed to run hot, but I'm a new york city resident and I'm in stop and go traffic all the time. I want to know what I should do to keep the engine running cooler. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

I put in an SLP manual fan switch and it solved my high temp problems.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/manfanconswi.html
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Now I'm smelling heavy fuel coming from the rear of the car where the charocal cansister is. When I first got the car it would get vapor lock and I would get a trouble code for insufficient flow. I ended up finding out that the canister took a **** and was clogging all the lines with charcoal. I blew the lines out and replaced the canister. No problems until now, where lately I've been getting a very bad fuel smell and in heavy stop and go traffic I start hearing the fuel pump humming due to vapors being sucked in. The only issue is I'm not getting a check engine light. I have replaced the Purge Solenoid, but have never changed the vacuum switch or the pressure control valve that is at the canister. I wonder if one of those 2 things are taking a **** on me. No check engine light.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

it is not "vapor lock". The fuel system is under pressure over 50 psi and the fuel pump is in the fuel tank.
what DTC did you get for your insufficient flow?
if you are smelling gas outside the car then that is problem #1 and i would find the source of that first.

Quick Reply: Vapor Lock Issue City Driving