Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 up Camaro PWM fuel pump controller - adaptable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2010 up Camaro PWM fuel pump controller - adaptable?

Been reading up a lot on fiel pumps and fuel systems, seems like the late camaro fuel pump module is the best setup. But it either needs to be modded with an internal regulator or controlled with a pump controller to ease fuel pressure under lighter demand. Found OEM Camaro controllers dirt cheap, anybody adapt one or look into it at all? Will it work stand alone, or does it need a late model ECM?
TIA, Jim
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, 82 views and nothing but crickets......
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People make retro fit kits, saw some used in a magazine in an old school swap. But they were the cts pumps
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot answer for sure on the OEM PWM, but from what I understand, they also need to be connected to the proper PCM to run the pump.

Another option is the one I used. I'm running a Retrofuel tank in my 67 Nova. Instead of running it with the M58 mechanical regulator option, I left the OEM relief valve in it and I bought a PWM from Professional Products (its called Fuel On Demand). Works flawlessly.

Here's the laptop interface for the controller:

And here's the pump's performance during my dyno pull:

Last edited by 66 BADBOY; 10-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Vaporworks tank which uses the 5th gen fuel module and it does not require a PWM controller to run the pump, although it is better if you do. Here are instructions on how the Vaporworx tanks setup is hooked up http://vaporworx.com/VaporWorx%20Fue...structions.pdf
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, I actually found all the above info in my searches, but also found a bunch of late model fuel pump controllers, guy wants $20.00 each for them, even cheaper if you buy in bulk. Hence, my hopes to be able to adapt one. That Fuel On Demand is way cool, but a lot more expensive. Hard to beat OEM GM for reliability also, I would think.
Jim
Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be very interested in seeing what controller it is that you are referring to. Does he have a part number for it? I looked into this type of thing a while back and gave up. LOL

I would assume it has to tie into the main computer to get some form of info to run the pump, and that would be some form of combo of either fuel pressure, throttle position, MAP reading, etc. So I have to believe it needs the correct computer to run it. If not, it would be nice to figure out exactly what it is reading and simulate the signal somehow.

The Fuel On Demand uses a fuel pressure sensor to control the pump speed. It can also use a MAP connection as well, but that is not necessary for NA cars. You enter your desired pressure (EFI pressures, LS pressure, or whatever you want) and also if it is a return style or returnless style setup, and it controls the pump. Yes, it costs more than what you are attempting to do, but its cheaper than some other alternatives currently being used on the market.

So with that controller you are getting, I just wonder what it uses for its readings. Can it work with an LS1 computer? Or does it need a 2010-up Camaro based computer?

This will be a cool one to follow!!

Last edited by 66 BADBOY; 10-04-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 up Camaro PWM fuel pump controller - adaptable?