New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Oil leak HELP!!!

I'm stumped I have an LS1 in my firebird. I have had a bad oil leak. I thought it was comming from the rear main seal. Replaced it and it still is leaking. The oil is comming from under the engine but I can't figure it out. Any ideas on where it could be comming from I'm all ears. I have had this problem for awhile and I'm going nuts!!! Please somebody help!!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

OIl pressure sending unit will leak like a bad rear seal.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

did you replace the rear cover gasket when you did the rear main seal? is it leaking from where the starter bolts to the block? if so get ready to pull your trans again. ask me how i know
Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it coming from the bellhousing?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM

When I replaced the rear main seal and its still leaking when I had the transmission down I looked at all the seals around the bottom of the engine and around the starter there all good. The only place I found oil where it shouldn’t be was in side of the bell housing with the clutch pack and fly wheel. That made since to me as the oil is leaking out of where the bell housing and engine mount up.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil pressure sending unit, recently have been seeing the a lot of the flex plate/flywheel bolt leak oil. The rear flange is drilled thur the crank allowing oil to work thur the threads and leaking in the bell housing. The oil filter adapter/ cooler housing are really bad for leaking too.

If you want to pin point it. Any GM dealership has oil dye add to oil and drive few miles and when u use a black light it illuminates where the leak is coming from.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM

The oil filter adapter might be the next place to look. But I think I'll get some oil dye first to hopefully make this oil leak a bit easier to track down. The car has 100,000+ miles on it if that matters.

Quick Reply: Oil leak HELP!!!