Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my intro (with pics) and some F/I questions for a LS newb

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my intro (with pics) and some F/I questions for a LS newb

For starters let me apologize for my grammatical error above, **For AN LS newb. You will probably catch more below.. so.....sorry

Hi all, my name is Tony.

I have a short background with motors, only about 5 years ago did I start doing my own wrenching.. I bought a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI. Blew up the stock 7 bolt, went through numerous cycles of pulling the motor for various reasons. And got fairly well versed at forced induction, how it works and why.

In the pursuit for speed I went over to 2 wheels. To Aprilia. Started with a '00 RSV Mille and had alot of fun, replaced the motor with a larger valve version, as well as upgraded throttle bodies, custom tune, and many many other upgrades. had fun with that bike. However it wasn't my 'Eleanor' so to speak..

SOO I got a '04 Aprilia RSV Factory. That was my dream bike. And now I own it and want something faster still

But regardless Im back to four wheels, and wanting to boost it.

The project.

I have a 1979 Chevrolet C10 that i drove around for a few years. I love the old square bodies. in my opinion the best truck chevy put together besides the 72 swb stepside i guess..

I traded the motor out of the c10 a couple years back and picked up a 6 liter LQ4 that I was going to put in the c10. It had a 4l80 strapped to it and i figured it would be perfect.

After my intial research I realized I was not able to reach my goals with the truck within my budget, so i put the project on hold and sold the lq4.

Fast Forward to today and I now have a 2005 lr4 4.8 liter with a 4l80 combo that came from an express van.

I have full wiring, and computer with the motor

The truck went down to the frame and is on its way back up now, a build thread to follow in the coming months..

The motor is on the stand and getting ready to be prepped for install.

Initial plans for the motor is a cam, pushrods, springs, maybe retainers, intake manifold, and a turbo. probably going to go single 70mm twin scroll turbo, or something along those lines. exact turbo hasnt been chosen yet.

I plan to run low boost, 6-10 pounds, in an attempt to see 400-450 hp.

For the cam setup, im looking at a TR kit, looking at two different cams right now, and this is question 1 of mine - this is a street build. MAYBE a couple passes a year at the strip, but this is 99.9% street.

Im between a 224/224 .563 114 cam to a 227/224 .569/.563 114 LSA

Im looking for something with street manners, and a lopey idle.

Im going to go with a cam kit from TR, ill pick up the titanium retainers and dual rate springs as well, and some 7.4 hardened pushrods.

*Oh also, I have an HPTuners Pro module that I have been tinkering with on a 99 silverado and a 01 trans am. Getting the hang of it.. but i will be bringing in my motor for a custom tune by a profressional.

My last few questions

Im assuming I will need different injectors. I dont want to get an injector JUST big enough that if I want to go higher i need a full set. and at the same time I dont want to have to fine tune a set of 1600 cc injectors to try and flow properly. So what recommendations would you have for injectors? Brand and size?

Also, torque converter. With the cam change, Im assuming I should be looking at a different stall. I have a good buddy who turns wrenches for a living who is telling to to stay around 2600-2800, while everything i read is telling me with my 4.8 and the cams im looking at, I should be between 3200-4000. Please keep in mind I have the 4l80 trans. Whats some decent options there as well?

Sorry for the blabbing, and if you made it this far I really appreciate you taking the time to offer any help Im quite green to these motors, but from my initial research it looks like im in for lots of fun!

Last edited by asb2106; 10-04-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is tons of info in the forced induction section....I'd suggest lots of
research before spending to see what has worked for others. I recently sold
a turbo car and have some experience despite it being a 385 cid gen I.
For your combo I'd use the 227/224 as the shorter EX. timing and backward
truck manifolds help velocity to spool (kick) the turbo. I'm guessing the 4l80
has a 2.48 first gear as opposed to the 3.06 of the 4l60, if thats true then
the 3600-3800 range converter would work well to get the turbo moving RFN.
For a relatively inexpensive yet dependable snail try the Borg Warner S470
with a .96ar. My 475/1.32 had more lag than I liked even on a much larger
engine than your 293cid. I ran a C&S blothru carb so I'd be guessing on
injectors....probably at least 60-80 pounders. Lastly expect around 450-475
rear wheel horsepower at 8-10 lbs. boost. Nice lookin' sleeper....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much AR for your input

I'll dig around more in the turbo section and study up

Quick Reply: my intro (with pics) and some F/I questions for a LS newb