Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with starting on 2000 T/A sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with starting on 2000 T/A sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

Well I have been working on this for a few weeks now and it is random. Lately when I go to start my car I push the clutch in and turn the key nothing, no click or knock like the starter is locking, I opened up the relay and manually jumped the car off and boom car fired right up. So now if I go in the morning and jump the car from the relay for the rest of the day it fires up through the key. If it sits for a few hours, i have to open up the relay and manually do it. I have a new factory KEY FOB and it locks unlocks just fine. Lately it started where I have to hit the relay more then once for it to fire and I hear a slight click that seems to be coming from the dash, doesn't sound like a starter, sounds like a relay under the dash clicking. I need some help this is super annoying.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You actually take the starter relay apart? Why not just jump the terminals on the outside? From the description I would suspect a new relay should take care of the problem. It's a mechanical device (actually electro-mechanical) and it is not uncommon for the contacts to stick sometimes.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I have switched relays a few times, the contact issue where i jump the relay manually a few times just started. Yes i have the actul cover off the relay and just make contact and fire her up. I have tried 5 new relays. I am wondering just the other day when it doesnt fire i here a click its either coming from under the dash or its the actual solenoid on the starter and sound is tranfering. Is there anything electronically controlled on the driver side?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a Caprice that would not start intermittently. Ended up being a loose jump lug, on the negative (I think). Tightened it down, fixed the problem. Took me a while to figure it out, too.

Quick Reply: Problem with starting on 2000 T/A sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't