General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Odd feel as decelerating, popping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd feel as decelerating, popping?

My 2000 A4 trans am has been doing some weird things thepast 2 weeks. Note this is with 3.73gears.

If i'm doing around 70-80 and i back off of the gas I'm getting some popping every now and then that I never seemed to have. It seems like with the 3.73 gears the engine does a lot more work slowing the car down since it's higher inthe RPM range.

Also, starting around 45 mph dropping downwards to maybe say 20.. in 3rd or D.. I notice mycar almost making faint "putting" sounds, and almost feel the car "bumping" as its doing this.

I can't figure out what would be cuasing this, but some insight would be nice as im worried something is starting to really go wrong. thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car does the same thing, i believe uit to be normal.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Launching!

I just never really noticed it before, I did just move to Cali so there is a lot of decelerating in traffic i'm not used to.. hoping some others chime in as well!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
My 2000 A4 trans am has been doing some weird things thepast 2 weeks. Note this is with 3.73gears.

If i'm doing around 70-80 and i back off of the gas I'm getting some popping every now and then that I never seemed to have. It seems like with the 3.73 gears the engine does a lot more work slowing the car down since it's higher inthe RPM range.

Also, starting around 45 mph dropping downwards to maybe say 20.. in 3rd or D.. I notice mycar almost making faint "putting" sounds, and almost feel the car "bumping" as its doing this.

I can't figure out what would be cuasing this, but some insight would be nice as im worried something is starting to really go wrong. thanks guys!

It's more fun if you have a cutout open. I love going down a long hill, foot off the gas and the windows down. Mine will talk to you all the way down. Almost as much fun as going down the interstate with the cutout open and the cruise control on. Then hit the +increase speed button and listen to it romp! Its normal just don't go down shifting to speed brake the car or you'll burn up the bands in the A4. Are you still running the stock stall?

Last edited by NC98Z; 10-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Gotcha, how much down shifting would be bad, I've done it before sometimes.. not too often and never at aggresive speeds. Rather how would I start to know if the bands are going?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
Gotcha, how much down shifting would be bad, I've done it before sometimes.. not too often and never at aggresive speeds. Rather how would I start to know if the bands are going?
You take off and when your tranny gets warmed up you loose 2nd or 3rd gear. It was alright when its cold but goes away when it gets up to operating temps. I would NEVER downshift a 4L60E.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Launching!

sorry I got lost there.. i lose 2nd or 3rd when my bands start to go?

what was alright when it was cold and went away when it was warm?
the poppiong/bumping feel I get... or the losing 2nd/3rd

Quick Reply: Odd feel as decelerating, popping?