General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I know this has been beaten to death...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I know this has been beaten to death...

I just need to know about my window motor.....go to put it up and stops halfway...is it the motor or regulator that needs to be replaced?? I know the linkage need to be lubed when changing the motor.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wait 30 seconds or so, does it go up again? If so, it is the motor. I just did mine and it was reallly easy. I think the motor was 60.00 from NAPA
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Mine was 30 bux from autozone lifetime warantee!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chevyguy2001
I just need to know about my window motor.....go to put it up and stops halfway...is it the motor or regulator that needs to be replaced?? I know the linkage need to be lubed when changing the motor.
As previously said if you can wait a minute or two and it goes up some more, your motor is toast. I think I paid around $40 from Advanced for mine last summer. You do not need to lube any linkage when replacing the motor. It is a straight swap, just make sure the teeth on the motor mesh by feel when you have your hands inside the door.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by grazi
If you wait 30 seconds or so, does it go up again? If so, it is the motor. I just did mine and it was reallly easy. I think the motor was 60.00 from NAPA
This is just one way of 6 that the motor can die. Even if it doesn't go up after waiting - the motor is still toast.

This has been beaten to death...

If you replace the motor with the new Dorman design - life will be much much better.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you replace the motor with the new Dorman design - life will be much much better.
I am curious, how is the "new" Dorman design any different than the "old" Dorman design? I ask because, it's been about 3 years since I replaced my last one with a Dorman, and I'm wondering what is different (or better) about the new ones? Or were these new ones already out 3 years ago? Mine is still fine, but I'm just curious.

I just wasn't aware that they had been redesigned at any point. I know Siemens used to make motors for these windows as well, and they also seemed to be good.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The new refers to the fact that they used the same window motor in the F-Bodies from the 2nd gen all the way until the 02 and the current design of the dorman motors was updated at some point to a better design that won't take a dump.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
and the current design of the dorman motors was updated at some point to a better design that won't take a dump.
Any idea when this happened? Is there an external visual difference?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Any idea when this happened? Is there an external visual difference?
Checking visually would be a good idea. I recall that Dorman marketed the old design before coming up with their new model.

There is a visual difference. While both sides of the case are different, the inside makes visible what Dorman has done to better seal the units.

Here is the old original GM design:

Here is the new Dorman:

The original design is very old - GM started putting this very motor on their cars in the late 60's!

The Dorman is supposed to be better sealed and it comes with 100% new parts whereas a lot of the Siemens motors I used to get were reman. (Even when the parts store said they were "new.") If you look at the pictures above, it looks like Dorman has a CNC machined case whereas the Siemens has a stamped and more open case.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

does the new design and old design have the same or diff P/Ns?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
does the new design and old design have the same or diff P/Ns?
The new design came about after the factory was shuttered, so there is no GM P/N.

Dorman's P/N is 742-101 but don't believe the picture on their web site. (Its the old design in the picture.) Once you get the part from a store, you can look at it and verify the new design and casting.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wssix99
The new design came about after the factory was shuttered, so there is no GM P/N.

Dorman's P/N is 742-101 but don't believe the picture on their web site. (Its the old design in the picture.) Once you get the part from a store, you can look at it and verify the new design and casting.
I don't remember what my Dorman looked like. I bought and installed it back in the summer of '10 I think it was, wonder if that was the new design?

I have a couple of Siemens motors laying around that I bought many years ago for another car but never used them. I remember having good luck in the past with these, but maybe I'll just stick to this new Dorman design if I ever need additional motors for either of mine.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Save the manuals!

I recall that the new Dorman design came out around 2007 or 2008. I still have yet to see a post from someone who has had the new motor crap out on them. (Keeping my fingers crossed...)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

It may not be a "bad motor". If it goes back up after waiting; then my vote is the thermal resistor. Ive bypassed the resistor on 4 motors and all of them have worked better than before (faster). Do a search on Google and you should find a few write ups. Worth a shot if you have the time to try out this method before purchasing new.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 AM

Strange, I had that same problem with my last work van, windows always would go down but had to fight to get it up more than half way.
If it was a winding, why no fight to go down, just up?
Tested switches ok.
-?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Justin Case
Strange, I had that same problem with my last work van, windows always would go down but had to fight to get it up more than half way.
If it was a winding, why no fight to go down, just up?
Tested switches ok.
-?
Good point. I believe because its less resistance going down than up. Therefore the thermal resistor overheats much faster when going up. Again, I recommend trying a bypass.

Oh wait, you mean they were manual in your van...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 AM

I tried a bypass.
I cut insulation and with a voltmeter measured power on the leads just before they went into the case when it wasn't working.
Wiggle the wires.
Big hammer.
Nothing worked but time - sometimes, and then lifting the window when it was so it had a higher chance of closing faster.

I drove around with a screw driver wedged in the switch in the up position, for when it sometimes suddenly decided to work.

I hate when a company provides a vehicle that should have stayed at the wreckers, is loud & unsafe, and they expect graditude & miracles.

I finally quit and it's no longer my problem
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Bypassing the thermal resistor will "work" but its not a very good idea as it can lead to tearing of the fiberglass that makes up the door. The resistor was put there for a reason...

The new Dorman motor design seems like it better protects the resistor from contamination and more importantly - your not getting someone else's reman resistor.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

one last thing you can do is to check your connector at the motor....over time the metal connecters open up and gives you intermitent power to the motor...I had issues with both motors freezing especially going up....i did the thermal resistor mod and it helped but still had problems with the window freezing up....then i figured out that the connections were not making sufficient contact so I squeezed the contacts closer together on the connector and also put a slight twist on the flat metal connections on the motor itself....last thing I did was wrap the connector to the motor with black tape just to make sure the whole connection remained tight and secure.... presto !! fixed my my freezing motor problem on both windows this has been over a year now...both motors are the original motors ....give it a shot...you got nothing to lose....best of luck to you

Quick Reply: I know this has been beaten to death...