General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

prep me for driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default prep me for driving in the snow

I just got an awesome promotion, and will be relocation from florida to st paul, minn, and taking the TA with me. Give me some tips on driving! Also, I will most likely drive up there and pull a small trailer. Is a hitch going to require pro installation. Thank guys!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of people over exaggerate about how tough it is driving in the snow.. you just have to be alot more careful about what you do. You can get stuck easier aswell.. just "feel" your car, youll get used to it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

snow tires snow tires snow tires and just becareful these cars rally arent that bad in the snow. they stop and turn pretty good which is just as important as being able to get moving. im going on my 5th winter in mine no accidents yet but after winter 1 i bought me some snows and have been great since
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I have C6 wheels. Do they make snow tires for the big *** 19s? The other option is to store it, and buy a winter beater. If I went that route, should I just try to snag a civic or integra or something? Or is front wheel drive in the snow a terrible idea?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Snow tires can't be run all year long so I avoid them for that reason. I opt for highly rated all weather tires which have served me well. Since you have a sports car with the wheels that you mention you will be looking at probably no less than $700-$800 maybe even more just for a set of all weather tires for any 18+ inch rim has been my experience and since they're corvette wheels the products available are going to be few in comparison to more common 19 inch wheels that aren't as wide as those wheels.

I like your idea of getting a beater. Save the car for all the fun in the good weather. Why risk wrecking it? I purchased a 93 Camry xle (v-6) for 1800 and it gets down the road just fine.

Roach
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

I drove a z28 with bald tires througha whole snowy winter just countersteer your fishtails
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
snow tires snow tires snow tires and just becareful these cars rally arent that bad in the snow. they stop and turn pretty good which is just as important as being able to get moving. im going on my 5th winter in mine no accidents yet but after winter 1 i bought me some snows and have been great since

This. Pick up a cheap set of 16" salad shooters and some cheap snow tires in a 215/225 size. I still say that my 6-speed Z28 was the best car I've ever driven in snow. Clutch + TCS + ABS + narrower snow tires = absolutely amazing in snow.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

stock 16" wheels with snow tires.

Take your time to move from lights & stop signs. Give your self enough time & space ahead to stop.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

I use the store it and drive a beater method. But I don't like salt and I'm more afraid of other crappy drivers sliding around. Drove a V8 RWD car during the winter for years, just choose not to use my LS1 for that.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
This. Pick up a cheap set of 16" salad shooters and some cheap snow tires in a 215/225 size. I still say that my 6-speed Z28 was the best car I've ever driven in snow. Clutch + TCS + ABS + narrower snow tires = absolutely amazing in snow.

When it comes to snow tires, you want them skinny. I used a 225/55/16 Blizzak on 16x7.5" wheels for winter duty, and not even Chicago winters would get in my way. I also kept an extra 100lbs of weight in the trunk (bags of gravel), and always kept the tank 1/2 full or more for additional weight. With this combo, unplowed lots were no problem, packed snow on unplowed roads was no problem, and ice was no more of a problem than it would be with any other car.

I found that it was easier to drive without the traction control. A bit of controlled spin on packed snow was easier to deal with than the constant acceleration fluctuations of traction control.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

If you have 1k-1500 to spend, buy a winter beater with liability. A small truck or whatever you prefer. Much better risk-wise and cost-wise.

That said, I drove my 93 T/A 2 winters and a 91 Firebird as well. The thing is to just really calculate stopping way ahead and to not do anything stupid. Put a bag of sand or two in the trunk area. Any steep hills with ice on it don't even try or you will get stuck halfway up for awhile or roll back. Had All weather tires on.

Imo it is always pretty nerve-racking driving these cars in the snow/ice. It isn't just about your car, but all the idiots driving around you and running lights or slamming their brakes at a light. So if you can, get a beater, but if not, take it slow and easy.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best solution:
1 - Open garage
2 - Drive TA into garage
3 - Close garage
4 - Drive beater. Wreck and/or get stuck as needed
5 - Reverse process when the roads are clear.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet49
That said, I drove my 93 T/A 2 winters and a 91 Firebird as well. The thing is to just really calculate stopping way ahead and to not do anything stupid. Put a bag of sand or two in the trunk area. Any steep hills with ice on it don't even try or you will get stuck halfway up for awhile or roll back......Imo it is always pretty nerve-racking driving these cars in the snow/ice.
The reason you feel this way is because of this:

Originally Posted by Jet49
Had All weather tires on.
With a true, good quality snow/ice tire, it's a very different experience. I tried all-weather tires too; they didn't come close to the winter performance of a real snow tire.

Of course, you still have to be careful in bad weather, just as would be the case with any car or truck. What you can do safely on a 70° sunny day isn't going to be the same as what you can do safely on a 20° day with heavy snow. But, that would be the case with any car (even a 4x4 truck).

Having said that, I choose not to drive this F-body in the snow any longer only because I don't want to expose it to any further salt damage or the general increased risk of being hit by others in snowy conditions.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id stay in florida. best way to deal with snow imo.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't drive mine in the winter other then getting stuck in a parking lot one afternoon with a couple of inches of slush.
But get real snow tire as narrow as you can fit. Put a little weight in the truck using a sand bag (use sand under tires when stuck) and turn the traction control off. If you get stuck trying to pull away and the tires just spin go to a higher gear.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
id stay in florida. best way to deal with snow imo.
Right? My wife and I moved to FL from Chicago last year, and one of the biggest reasons was to get away from snow so we'd drive her T/A more.

I went up to St. Paul/Minneapolis two winters ago from Chicago to buy a GTO. On the way into the twin cities, there were literally dozens of cars that had slid off the road. I was taking bus lines to get up there, and my connecting bus from the twin cities to North Dakota couldn't even make it into the cities. After waiting in the bus station for 6+ hours with no promise of another bus coming soon, I hopped on the next one back to Chicago.

If you've got 19's on that car now, really your only two choices are to pick up a set of 16's for a couple hundred bucks and then throw some snow tires on it for a few hundred more OR pick up a winter beater. I had a '95 Civic with snow tires while I had my C5 (no way was I going to try any snow in a lowered C5), and that also worked well. Honestly, I still preferred my Camaro in snow over the Civic (155 width tires on it too!), but it was definitely easy to drive.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
stock 16" wheels with snow tires.

Take your time to move from lights & stop signs. Give your self enough time & space ahead to stop.
^^^What these two guys said. Even with GOOD all season tires you should be okay. Your biggest problem will be driving through ruts since the car is so low. My first Camaro was my only car and I had to DD through all types of weather with no problem, even with only all-seasons. Manual cars are usually better winter cars IMO. A lot of people can't afford the cost of a beater or have a place to store two cars. Just make sure you drive it through a car wash as soon as possible (except LT1 owners ) after heavy road salting and maybe it won't rust.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a beater it's the best option. I finally bought a subie after driving f bodies in the snow for the last 5 years.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Buy a beater it's the best option. I finally bought a subie after driving f bodies in the snow for the last 5 years.
Agreed ^^^^^^^They salt the hell out of roads here in Ohio during winter season. I see soooo many nice cars here but with rusted out quarter panels/doors. I have alot invested in my GTO to see it go up in rust a few years later. Even my Camaro has fun in the snow with sudden rear kickouts! So I bought a cheap FWD hooptie for the winter months with just liability insurance to keep me covered in case plus I don't need sum jerk sliding into my $36,000 car and totaling it!! Stays nice and warm in garage till Mar/Apr.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

i was planning on driving my camaro through the winter but realized that one bad move and things can get ugly and we get a ton of salt on the roads up here so no camaro, ill buy a cheap civic and drive that instead.

Quick Reply: prep me for driving in the snow