Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Differential and Gears; Car won't Move

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Differential and Gears; Car won't Move

I have a 2000 Camaro with a Moser 9" rear end. I wanted to change the rear gears because they were just too noisy at anything over 100 MPH. (I live in Germany and 100 MPH is slow on the Autobahn.) Anyway, I installed all new bearings, a Ford Racing LSD, and Motive 3.50 gears. I got everything installed last night and was looking forward to a break-in drive today.

With the car still on jack stands, I let the car idle in first gear for about 10 minutes. Waited a few hours and then tried to go for a drive. I put the car in first gear and the car would not move, no matter how much gas I gave it. There was a lot of noise coming from the rear end; a kind of rattling that got louder the more I pressed on the gas. I looked under the car while letting out the clutch and pressing on the gas. I could see the driveshaft turning, but the tires just wouldn't move.

So, on jack stands with no load on the tires, the wheels turn just fine. But with the wheels on the ground, no movement. Could the brand new differential be the cause? I'm really at loss for what's wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Pull it back out and see what came loose or broke.
Where you at in germany?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Teching In

It looks like I'm going to have to do take apart again. I'd rather have to (it's kind of a pain in the ***), but not sure there's an alternative.

I live in the Stuttgart area. Land of Mercedes and Porsche.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I am just up the road from you . Near Kaiserslautern. I do about a dozen 9inch and 8.8 gear swaps a year . That is when time permits. If you got a question shoot me a pm.

Quick Reply: New Differential and Gears; Car won't Move